• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2006 IBC Section 503.1.2 Buildings on same lot

skipharper

Have a IIB 89,000 Sq Ft Bldg and a IIB 11,000 Sq Ft Bldg wanting to use the section above.(Please dont ask why) Use groups are A-2,F-1, B, and S-1

Cannot locate any requirement to guide me using table 503 so must use the group B which is the largest allowable area of all use's proposed.

Am I missing something here?

skipharper said:
Am I missing something here?
Well, yes. You apparently are missing that the red sox suck.

Seriousness aside, I think it is a little more complicated. Are you saying they want to consider both buildings a single structure? If so, are the uses within each building separated? If the uses are not separated, then the entire structure (in this case two structures, acting like one), must meet the most restrictive requirements of Ch 9, and the allowable area and height will be that of the most restrictive occupancy, in this case A2, which will probably bust the whole thing, because you can't get unlimited area with an A2 unless it's separated from all other uses. Even with 1 story, sprinklers and yards, you can't get close to the overall area of both buildings for an A2, IIB.

So a little more info is necessary, including yard width, actual areas of individual occupancies, and whether there is separation or not. Number of stories? Sprinklers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good One on the Sox!!

Yeah man, single structure! I'm good on the area increase for yard frontage, the entire building(s) is sprinkled. I just find it hard to believe the most restrictive use would not apply in first determining the allowable floor area. One of the two buildings is a 2 story. The A-2 is by the designer for large break rooms and he has seperated those from the rest of the structure per the correct tables. Getting out of the gate with my plan review I am stumped that I would not be guided to the tabular floor area which in other portions of the code is the most restrictive which as you state would be the A-2. Based on table 503, use group B can get 23,000 Sq. Ft. with IIB per floor which means a sprinkler increase (2story) of 200%= 46,000 per floor putting the design at 96,000 Sq Ft. The other 13,000+ works within frontage increase.

Well, then it sounds like what's hurting you is the two story. Otherwise, with fully sprinklered, and full yards, you could have unlimited area buildings with A2 occupancies under certain restrictions. Are the break rooms less than 750 square feet each?

At any rate, if the A's are treated as separated occupancies, just calculate the sum of the ratios of the occupancies/areas, like you would any other building of separated use. Just understand that if any of the uses are not separated, the most restrrictive provisions will apply as noted in my first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your on it, it really aint hurting me just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. They are classifying A-2 because of very large (2500 sq ft) break rooms and they are seperated. Thanks for the quick replies texasbo!! The saying "great minds think alike" almost worked here, o well, get you on board with the red sox someday!!! Thank You Sir!