• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2006 IECC and electric resistance heat

steveray

SAWHORSE
Is this still allowed? All of the tables i have looked at don't list it under the ratings or standards that I saw...( excuse me for not having my books at home) just wondering if this has been quietly eliminated somehow? I can't imagine, but stranger things have happened...thanks!

You posted under Residential Energy codes. There are no minimum efficiency standards for equipment in CH 4. EPACT has covered minimum efficiencies for residential grade equipment and therefore one can't buy equipment that does not comply.

If you were referring to Commercial Mech equipment covered under Table 5, that is saying that IF certain equipment is installed, it must meet the tables under 503.2.3. Equipment outside the scope of those tables is not included in the scope of the IECC (solid fuel heating, variable refrigerant, heat recovery chillers, etc).

Note that electric resistance is always 100% efficient, so no efficiency standard apply anyway.

Thanks DR. I was refferring to 1103.1 of the 2003 IRC which kicks you to 503.2 of the IECC Never thought about electric heat as 100% efficient....I guess no waste, but doesn't seem like a great way to heat your house...?

Depends on utility rates. Pacific northwest has pretty cheap electricity. New York/New England has ridiculous rates.

You can't mix/match 2003 and 2006 codes. Ch 11 of the IRC and the entire IECC was exensively re-written in 2006.

With our CT amendments we have to mix...we are on a twice amended 2003 IRC and the 2006 IECC if they are strictly prescriptive, they stay on 03...Rescheck sends them to 2006 IECC....YAY me...like one set of codes isn't enough! And now it looks like we may go to 09 IECC before we get to a new "building code"

Around here electric heat is not feasible....but apparently allowable...Thanks again!