• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2006 IMC Section Clothes Dryer Exhaust:

Rider Rick

Silver Member
Commercial buildings, townhomes and condominiums with clothes dryers.

Dryer transition duct from the appliance to the exhaust duct system in the wall, is it required to be metal smooth inner wall?

Thank you,

Rick

Re: 2006 IMC Section Clothes Dryer Exhaust:

Rick,

According to Section 504.6 in the `06 IMC [ for Residential / Domestic & commercial ]

applications " Clothes dryer ducts used to connect the appliance to the

exhaust system shall be limited to single lengths not to exceed 8 feet and

shall be listed and labeled for the application."

My experience is that most do not have the metal, smooth inner wall surfaces, but

more of the type of the rubberized, thin membrane wrapped around a strand of

coiled metal.

The commentary spells it out a little better to understand. Transition duct can be flexible duct complying to UL2158A, page 5-31.

Flexible works per code - but I installed a smooth duct at my house. The flexible ribs increase the air resistance and allow more "dryer fluff" to accumulate inside the duct, reducing airflow even more.

Once again, the code is minimum.

Thank you for the input.

I have always allowed flex ducting for the transition but the fire inspector read the code different so I thought I would check. :cool:

Thanks again,

Rick

Flexible duct yes, but rubberized duct?