• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2006 Sec. P3005.2.7

InspMO

Bronze Member
P3005.2.7 Building drain and building sewer junction.There shall be a cleanout near the junction of the building drain and building sewer. This cleanout shall be either insideor outside the building wall, provided that it is brought up to finish grade or to the lowest floor level. An approvedtwo-way cleanout shall be permitted to serve as the required cleanout for both the building drain and the building sewer.The cleanout at the junction of the building drain and building sewer shall not be required where a cleanout on a 3-inch(76 mm) or larger diameter soil stack is located within a developed length of 10 feet (3048 mm) of the building drainand building sewer junction.P3005.2.8 Direction of flow. Cleanouts shall be installed so that the cleanout opens to allow cleaning in the direction ofthe flow of the drainage line.Can someone send me the commentary figures for this? How can you have a "two way" cleanout if has to be installed so it cleans in the directions of flow?double clean out [1600x1200] [1600x1200].JPG[/attachment:1rwo8s6g]

View attachment 1310

View attachment 1310

/monthly_2010_05/572953db221ff_doublecleanout1600x12001600x1200.JPG.77393911817ea623ea14ecb0ec947860.JPG

Re: 2006 Sec. P3005.2.7

InspMo,

I don't have a commentary handy, but the "required" type of cleanout is the one that allows

the access / rodding / cleaning of the sewer line in the direction of the flow. The "two way"

type of cleanout is permitted as a convenience. The person doing the rodding of the sewer

line can thus, ...rod both directions from a single location. The "two way" type is not

required, ...the "in-the-direction-of-flow" type IS !

Hope this helps! ;)

Why do people post things like this??? It always gets me to thinking...and that hurts!

We have always allowed this type of set-up and don't require a cleanout to be installed to clean out the building drain. Now if they only install a one-way clean out in the front (building sewer) then we require a clean out at the end of the trunk line, usually at the back of the house to clean out the building drain.

Now that one would be in the direction of flow HOWEVER when we allow one like in the picture, we are allowing something "not to code"! Crap!

Would a 2-way cleanout tee be allowed that does the same thing?

I think a two-way clean out tee would be much better. What cleans out the portion of pipe between the two clean outs in the photo above?

Still pondering that "in the direction of flow" thing.................

GPE

Ok. I see that the allowance of a two way co at the building drain and sewer junction is covered by P3005.2.7. all other co's would have to comply with P3005.2.8.

GPE

Re: 2006 Sec. P3005.2.7The link North Star posted would not be bad, I guess. But snaking backwards can damage fixtures, in the configuration in the attached pic and my previous post would have an unsnaked area. So you could snake both ways and still have a back-up :shock: . Add that to the section stating the cleanout must sweep in the direction of flow.

View attachment 59

View attachment 59

/monthly_2010_05/572953b51f022_two-waycleanout1600x1200.jpg.d4d8a04421fb993b837627951909f55d.jpg

Mule - You crack me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cleanout at the junction of the building drain and building sewer shall not be required where a cleanout on a 3-inch

(76 mm) or larger diameter soil stack is located within a developed length of 10 feet (3048 mm) of the building drain

and building sewer junction.

Just put it inside before the foudation wall and forget about it. That first pic, in the OP is insane. I can't imagine why you would even want to do that.

north star,

Does that disco ball ever stop, I found myself staring at it and dosed off! :cool:

InspMO,

That 2-way looks like an air intake to my codes car engine, haven't seen that type before!

north star said:
Mule,

Why are the ones in the photo NOT to code? :?:
Because the part of the T that they installed to clean out the building drain would not be "in the direction of flow".

Unless there is something else in the code that does not require the building drain to be included in the direction of flow. We all know how these codes are written.

About the time I figure something out it changes!

Mule,

I agree with you that the flow is in the wrong direction in regards to the OP picture P3005.2.8 but we are seeing this set up more often in the field. Just yesterday the fitting that NorthStar posted was being used and was approved here, I have not seen the fitting that InspMO posted.

In P3005.2.7 the code permits a two-way cleanout to serve as the required cleanout for "both the building drain and the building sewer."

This could have been written as an exception but, the way I see it, it negates the requirement for the direction of flow reqirement in P3005.2.8.

GPE

Pcinspector1,

You're funny! :D No, I guess that ' disco ball ' doesn't ever stop moving. And here I thought it was

a gas fired type of moving sphere, with the flames exiting the [ code compliant ] exhaust openings. Silly

me...

Mule,

The OP did not state if this was a ' repair ' of an existing sewer line or a ' new ' sewer line installation. If it

is a ' repair ', there may not be a CO at the far end of sewer line. A lot of businesses and residences do

not have them around here. If it a ' new ' installation, then the 2 way CO is a convenience. The "in-

the-direction-of-flow" access will be compliant and allow the rodding / snaking of the sewer line ' in-the-

direction-of-the-drain_line-flow ', ...the other point of access will allow [ as a convenience to the rodder

/ snaker ], the rodding / snaking of the sewer / drain line "yes" upstream!" But, by accessing the sewer

/ drain line at this location, it may assist in the unclogging of the sewer / drain line, which IS the intent

anyway, ...Yes ?

I cannot speak for anyone on this board, but for me, ...if stopped up, I want my sewer / drain lines to

be clear and operable in the fastest time possible. The 2-way CO will assist in getting that done!

FWIW, I too have not seen the type of 2-way CO that InspMo posted in his 2nd pic., but I WOULD

approve its use and installation.

Edit: I had the IRC Commentary and IPC Commentary open at the same time and mixed sections. Since clarified/corrected in red.

The picture in the original post could not be approved. The IPC Commentary states "a two-way fitting" not several fittings that look like they may work the same way. However, both IRC and IPC say "approved two-way cleanout". Does that mean a single or double cleanout?. The Grainger picture is the same as the drawing in the IPC Commentary. That other picture is questionable due to the uncleanable section, there isn't an exception for that. The use of a two-way fitting is limited to a building drain less than 100 feet long which should cover most houses. Snaking backward can cause damage to wc's, but the code can't cover everything.

Best advice put a cleanout inside at the end of the building drain (presuming its less than 100') and another at the building sewer, unless you have a stack just inside the building wall.

Note: not a plumbing inspector, I just play one when reviewing plans.

Sorry for any confusion, I usually cause. :)

grainger fitting is what iam used to seeing and usually on below slab systems with multiple branches. always have co at begining of mains.

the owner of the house i rent recently converted the detached garage to an ADU and the plumber installed a two way cleanout as pictured in the OP. locale AHJ passed it(says they allow them all the time) :eek: , looks like dog waste, terminates 18" above grade 5' out from the house in the miidle of the lawn. i guess if they were smaller in diamiter i could use them for playing horse shoes. :lol:

Can someone send me the commentary figures for this? How can you have a "two way" cleanout if has to be installed so it cleans in the directions of flow?
That is almost a proper instulation if the combos faces each other normaly a 2-way isnt installed where (rule of thumb) the depth is over 3-4 ft. because it is hard to know what way your cable is going when the pipe is full of black water. this is a "thumb rule" I dont know you will find it in the code.

Other thought: you would have no grater punched in the gut fealing when a home owner runs out of a house screaming STOP my toilet is broken and your flooding my house!!!! WOOPS!!!