• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2008 NEC and AFCI in VA

jumper

Bronze Member
I heard from my local inspector that VA may not adopt the changes for extra AFCI in the 2008 vs 2005. Anyone got any hard info on this?

We will find out by October when the VA. USBC is released. I have not heard anything to support what you heard but anything is possible. I am more curious about the sprinkler thing.

I've been told that Oklahoma is considering staying with the 2005 requirements for AFCIs. It seems like every cycle the manufacturers get a new requirement through ICC that results in selling a new, more expensive product.

Uncle Bob

AFCI requirements are being driven by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I fear that the feds will jump in and mandate them if too many states amend them out of the code.

It appears my inspector jumped the gun. I e-mailed my question to DHCD and they replied.

The proposal passed all the review process, but has not passed the final adoption. This meeting is Monday 7/26/10.

I guess I will have my answer next week.

Jumper,

It looks like the requirements for residential sprinkler systems in the 2009 IRC will be amended out by the VA. USBC. They will offer incentives to townhouses and residential developments that use sprinklers. These incentives are what you see in the proposals on your link. For instance if you sprinkler your townhouse complex you can reduce the width of the required fire truck access road and you can reduce the number of fire hydrants and increase their spacing. These compromises are what I was referring to when I alluded to the "sprinkler thing." This is not set in stone but seems to be the direction that they are leaning.