• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2009 IBC/IEBC Code Options- Opinions?

jrsarch59

I am adding a large addition to a facility. The addition is about the same size of the existing facility. I want to avoid having to install sprinklers in the existing building (amongst many other code improvement requirements). I see two options:

1. Perform the code review as an addition to an existing facility and follow codes accordingly.

2. Treat the large addition as a "new independent structure", fire separate from the existing facility and follow different codes for each building (IEBC for the existing facility and IBC for the new facility).

Opinions & Question...Is it better to treat the entire "final" facility as one building with a large addition or do you think it will be better/easier to treat them as two separate buildings hence using the 2009 Existing Building Code for the existing structure and the 2009 International Building Code for the new structure. The existing facility and new addition will only be connected via a 40' long corridor (Essentially, it will be two separate buildings with a corridor connection.)

My problem is that the existing structure has large assembly spaces on the existing second & third floors which, if built today, would require a sprinkler system. Currently there are no sprinklers in the existing facility. I am worried if I treat this as one building I will be required to add sprinklers in the existing building because of the scope of renovations being performed.

The project will be using the 2009 Building Code Family.

Thanks in advance!!!

Is there any work in the existing building? Other than what it takes to add on? It should not be too difficult to work a firewall into the addition plan and treat them as separate buildings which would make alot of existing situations nonissues...Don't forget to check if they used any open perimeter increases though...Or a fire barrier to break up the fire areas if you do not need sprinklers for any other reason, that would leave a little more flexibility in design and get rid of the structural independence of the fire wall....

Fire wall should be pretty cheap in a corridor, now that I read the whole post........

Sounds like you already will already have two separate buildings.

How many sq ft is the new one

Depending on how height and area work out, attaching the addition to the existing building even if it is separated by a fire wall may make the exissting building noncompliant or more noncompliant with the height and area provisions by reducing open perimiter. Then you might need to sprinkler the existing building to get back in compliance or at least not make the existing situation less compliant.

Always start by looking at the whole project through the EBC. See where it leads and then decide whether a fire-wall would be beneficial.

I will add that if the existing building has height/area issues with regard to current Code that the more forgiving approach in the EBC is the work-area method.

Sorry, finally found out where to find my post responses...The existing building will be renovated, every floor. The new building is 7200 SF per level, three levels for a total of 21,600 SF. The existing building is 3 floors and around 45,000 SF. The new building will be set off of the existing by at least 30', open access to all sides of the original building and new building (except for where the connection corridor is).