• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2009 IBC plan review study guides

Anyone that has studied and took the Plans Review exam?... What study material was helpful to you?

Way back in the day, I just made sure I knew how the Code Book was laid out. The plans were crap, heard they still are. I actually told the procter to take them away. After I passed, I told her that any self respecting plans examiner would never have accepted them in the first place.

fatboy said:
Way back in the day, I just made sure I knew how the Code Book was laid out. The plans were crap, heard they still are. I actually told the procter to take them away. After I passed, I told her that any self respecting plans examiner would never have accepted them in the first place.
Couldn't agree more concerning the example plan set, although we probably would have accepted them, unfortunately.

In my opinion, the test is basically verifying you are capable of locating the various applicable code sections of the code, while eliminating extraneous, or non-applicable information from their questions. In other words, they want to see you know your way around the book and indexes/extendex, and can understand the what the question is really asking and verifying compliance with the intent of the code. It's a bit more convoluted than it really needs to be.

I recommend a tabbed code book and the extendex for the exam, and using the commentary (about the only usefulness this serves) as a study guide. They do a good job of bouncing you around to various sections, pulling out questions on obscure code sections. Obviously Chapters 1-16 are pretty standard, and should be familiar to you, but I wish I would have spent some extra time in Chapter 7 and the Structural Sections (16-23).

I'm with Papio and fatboy. The plans are terrible, most of the time you can't hardly read them, especially if it is a specific detail.

Make sure you have your book tabbed as being able to find the information as quickly and accurately as possible is the key to the exam. The more familiar you are with the code book, the easier it will be to find the answers. They will ask some very off the wall questions on subjects that you may never deal with at all during your entire career; just be prepared.

I've taken a couple of the online courses and they helped me on a few of my certification exams. It might be worth you time and money.

Thanks all...

I recently took and passed the IBC commercial inspector exam and there was a set of plans included for that test. Yeah, the print was really small and hard to read. Also the set of plans for the Energy Inspector were hard to read too.

I figured I might as well take the exam ASAP while the last test is still fresh in my head.

Thanks again

Actually the practice course is helpful, points you to different areas in the code, makes you figure out how it is laid out. But, if you just passed your commercial inspector, you should be fine. Good luck, and yes, do it while it's still fresh.

I figured I might as well take the exam ASAP while the last test is still fresh in my head
Exactly

My fire inspector took the Fire Inspector I in the morning and Fire Inspector II in the afternoon. I made him take the Fire Plans Examiner test the following week and he passed. Don't be afraid to take any plans examiner test after the inspector test. the material is fresh in your mind, you are familar with the code just "Git Er Done"

Congratulations on passing that one! I'm getting ready for E-2. You might try IBC flash cards for prep for the plans examiner. I'm doing that, I wont know how helpful it is till I go

codeworks said:
Congratulations on passing that one! I'm getting ready for E-2. You might try IBC flash cards for prep for the plans examiner. I'm doing that, I wont know how helpful it is till I go
I really didn't find the flashcards all that helpful, although that could be a personal study preference, but it just seemed there were too many definitions, and in the end, very few definitions were referenced in my exam.

like all code tests, the better you know the code (and locate applicable code sections quickly), the better you will do. I always keep calculations until last.

Tab your code books

darcar,

I found these workbooks helpful with my exam back in Oct 2010. 2009 IBC Performing Nonstructural Plan Reviews, 2009 IBC Performing Structural plan Reviews. Also 2009 IBC study companion. For the test you will need ICC concrete manual.

Good Luck with the test

Dan

When I took it there were no study guides availible. But it is a fairly easy test though. Tabbed code book very helpful but the questions pretty much start at the beginning of the book and flow sequentially to the end.