• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2009 IECC automatic lighting shutoff

TJacobs

Sawhorse
I have a 5,300 square foot "mega salon" with 25 rooms that will be rented out to beauty professionals. The owner claims that any suite can be used during any 24 hour period.

They are asking for a waiver from 2009 IECC 505.2.2.2 for safety reasons. They claim that they cannot control the comings and goings of the tenants, so they have no idea when the building is unoccupied.

Anybody aware of this code section? Anybody enforcing this code section? Is hair, skin and nail care "patient care"? Fire away!

I agree with vp. Occupant sensors are great, except they make me work harder.....lol

I'm a designer, not a code official and I'd say put in occupancy sensors. Sounds like they are customers, not patients.

Now if the applicant wanted to argue, they could try this approach. The section says "Buildings larger than 5,000 square feet (465 m2) shall be equipped with an automatic control device to shut off lighting in those areas." I question what "those areas" mean. Did the authors intend that this section applies to 5,000(+) sqft rooms in buildings (storage area, repair garage, store, auditorium, etc.) and if the area is split into smaller areas less than 5,000 sqft each (suites, offices, etc), then the automatic control device is not required?

I think the only out here would be if they could prove that working with chemicals and sharp tools could present a danger if suddenly plunged into darkness. See exception c.

c. Spaces where an automatic shutoff would endangerthe safety or security of the room’s or building’s

occupant(s).
Note, quote from the 2007 FBC.