• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2009 IRC Wall Bracing confusion

righter101

Gold Member
R602.10.1.3 "Angled Corners" of the 2009 IRC provides a prescriptive path for angled corners, including a diagram (fig. 602.10.1.3)

How is this reconciled with the "Irregular buildings" section R301.2.2.2.5 #6 which states that an irregular building requiring design by a LDP occurs "When shear walls and braced wall lines do not occur in two perpendicular directions"????

I have taken my code change class but not the wall bracing one yet. Any input is appreciated.

thanks.

John

If you look at Figure R602.10.1.3 is is very limiting in scope. Using R602.10.1.3 you still have to have the other walls perpendicular to each other, you just get to use an angled corner. In R301.2.2.2.5, they are talking about buildings that don't have any walls perpendicular to each other, much like a parallelogram. That's how I read it.

If you exceed the prescriptive for angled corners, it's an irregular structure.

Irregular buildings are those that can't be broken down into rectangles... even series of rectangles..

Probably need one of them LDP.