• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2010 California Building Code

conarb

I've been going through the Building Standards processes, it's very convoluted and hard to follow, but here are some first impressions:

1) We are going to get a residential code, it's numbering and organization will be from the adoption of the IRC and it's integration into the CBC, I would assume that it will come after the CBC sections so the "R" sections can be bound separately, but it will probably be 2 to 3 times as thick. It will be totally different from the IRC in that many current sections of the CBC will be added to the IRC sections to attempt to keep it from going downhill.

2) It is appearing that we will have residential buildings built exempt from the fire sprinkler requirements, they will maintain the existing fire separations.

3) There will be buildings built with fire sprinklers, they will get reduced fire separations, like 3' set backs. I see this as playing out with most tract builders installing sprinklers to cram more homes into each tract, most custom homes will be exempt.

4) There will be 14 day flushing-out periods for new homes where the new exhaust fans will be running constantly to flush the toxic substances out of them, during the first 4 days of the flushing process nobody will be able to occupy the homes, but people will be allowed to occupy the homes during the last 10 days of the flushing process. To give you an idea of the process while stakeholders are supporting and opposing proposals, here is a stake holder's objection, note that he proposed section is first with the objection following. We aren't getting rid of toxic building materials, we are going to be flushing them out, totally defeating the sealing of the energy code as we condition the whole outdoors.

5) The Green Building Code will become mandatory, there is lots of controversy going on about the dual plumbing systems with what's gray water, dumping soap suds into yards from washing machines killing landscaping etc.

6) Guard rails will remain at the IBC 42", we had a cycle around 75 to 78 when they went up to 42" in single family, there was such a hue and cry that they came back down to 36", in the current IBC based code they went back up to 42" and are going to stay there.

I can't find a time-line matrix: however, if history means anything it should become code in about mid 2011. This obviously is going to be the biggest code change in history, it is being eased in by the adoption of the Energy Code on the first of the month, and the voluntary patchwork adoption of the Green Building Standards, but all of this will come together in what will be called the 2010 CBC.

If anybody has the time and/or inclination they can research it here and we can discuss it, I wish Maniac would come home, I'm tired, disgusted and want to go to bed, maybe I'll move to Texas.

Re: 2010 California Building Code

ca,

the 2010 code becomes law on 1-1-11. energy code became effective on 1-1-10. it will be an adventure and my last code cycle to deal with :mrgreen: