• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2012 IBC 507.3 question.

pyrguy

How are you interpreting 2012 IBC Section 507.3 Unlimited Area Buildings. The code states:

507.3 Sprinklered, one story.

The area of a Group B, F, M or S building no more than one story above grade plane of any construction type, or the area of a Group A-4 building no more than one story above grade plane of other than Type V construction, shall not be limited where the building is provided with an automatic sprinkler system throughout in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 and is surrounded and adjoined by public ways or yards not less than 60 feet (18 288 mm) in width.

I have a proposed building that wants non-separated mixed use of “M” and “S” with a separated A3 portion that is over the tabular area allowed for the stated construction type of IIIB.

The Code section states an unlimited area building of B, F, M OR S.... it does not state that these can be mixed.

What say you?

Are they meeting the non-separated use provision of Chapter 5, most restrictive? I could consider the combination of the two sections. Just a quick reaction to the question. Curious what the other opinions are.

I would say no....... unless the A-3 can be of accessory use (less than 10% of the floor area) and less than the tabular value of the table. Assembly has more potential fire hazards and requires more fire protection features as a result. Remember, NFPA 13 sprinkler systems aren't always designed to extinguish a fire but to keep a fire in check...

Agree with BB.....it can be there if it meets the requirements for accessory(incidental).....but probably needs a separation....think large office or factory with cafeteria....

In the 2012 IBC, there is an exception added in Section 507.1: 507.1 General. The area of buildings of the occupancies and configurations specified in Sections 507.1 through 507.12 shall not be limited. Exception: Other occupancies shall be permitted in unlimited area buildings in accordance with the provisions of Section 508.2. There's your answer. If it won't qualify for accessory, then it has to be separated.

I know that the A2 needs separation. In fact they want to separate it enough to call it a separate building surrounded on three sides by the main building.

The question is, can this building, using 507, be unlimited area non-separated mixed use? Any other way Code sections they can use to build this thing?

I remembered this morning that they have proposed a mezzanine area of business use. I have not see the area for the mezzanine.

pyrguy said:
I know that the A2 needs separation. In fact they want to separate it enough to call it a separate building surrounded on three sides by the main building.The question is, can this building, using 507, be unlimited area non-separated mixed use? Any other way Code sections they can use to build this thing?

I remembered this morning that they have proposed a mezzanine area of business use. I have not see the area for the mezzanine.
It cannot be unlimited in area if the A use cannot qualify as an accessory use unless you meet the provisions of 507.3.1 which allows for an A-1 or an A-2 in an unlimited area building provided it is separated and has doors directly to the exterior as well as a few other provisions. If it's an A-3, then no, it cannot be an unlimited area building with the A-3 being more than 10 percent.

Codegeek said:
It cannot be unlimited in area if the A use cannot qualify as an accessory use unless you meet the provisions of 507.3.1 which allows for an A-1 or an A-2 in an unlimited area building provided it is separated and has doors directly to the exterior as well as a few other provisions. If it's an A-3, then no, it cannot be an unlimited area building with the A-3 being more than 10 percent.
Even has accessory use the A would not qualify has unlimited in this type of mixed use.,

kilitact said:
Even has accessory use the A would not qualify has unlimited in this type of mixed use.,
I don't think I said the A was unlimited. If the A use cannot qualify for an accessory use, then it must qualify for per Section 507.3.1 which allows the A-1 and A-2 in an unlimited area building but limits the area of the A-1 or A-2 use. If it cannot meet the provisions of 507.3.1 as an A-1 or A-2 OR meet the accessory provisions for any other A use group, then the building itself cannot be unlimited. If it can meet either of those provisions, then the building may be of unlimited area.

I agree with others; if the A-3 cannot be considered an accessory occupancy, then the building cannot qualify for unlimited area under that section.