• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2012 IBC and panic hardware

cda

Sawhorse 123
a revisit to an article written:

The question of if panic harware is required does an electric touch bar meet the requirements under the 2012 IBC???

http://idighardware.com/2012/03/decoded-ibc-electromagnetically-locked-egress-doors/#comments

They changed this section in the 2012 IBC:::

1008.1.9.9 Electromagnetically locked egress doors.

Doors in the means of egress in buildings with an occupancy in Group A, B, E, M, R-1 or R-2, and doors to tenant spaces in Group A, B, E, M, R-1 or R-2, shall be permitted to be electromagnetically locked if equipped with listed hardware that incorporates a built-in switch and meet the requirements below:

1. The listed hardware that is affixed to the door leaf has an obvious method of operation that is readily operated under all lighting conditions.

2. The listed hardware is capable of being operated with one hand.

3. Operation of the listed hardware directly interrupts the power to the electromagnetic lock and unlocks the door immediately.

4. Loss of power to the listed hardware automatically unlocks the door.

5. Where panic or fire exit hardware is required by Section 1008.1.10, operation of the listed panic or fire exit hardware also releases the electromagnetic lock.

But they did not change the panic hardware section to reflect the change in 1008.1.9.9: 2012 edition

Still says it shall meet this section:

1008.1.10 Panic and fire exit hardware.

Doors serving a Group H occupancy and doors serving rooms or spaces with an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E occupancy shall not be provided with a latch or lock unless it is panic hardware or fire exit hardware.

Exception: A main exit of a Group A occupancy in compliance with Section 1008.1.9.3, Item 2.

Electrical rooms with equipment rated 1,200 amperes or more and over 6 feet (1829 mm) wide that contain overcurrent devices, switching devices or control devices with exit or exit access doors shall be equipped with panic hardware or fire exit hardware. The doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel.

1008.1.10.1 Installation.

Where panic or fire exit hardware is installed, it shall comply with the following:

1. Panic hardware shall be listed in accordance with UL 305;

2. Fire exit hardware shall be listed in accordance with UL 10C and UL 305;

3. The actuating portion of the releasing device shall extend at least one-half of the door leaf width; and

4. The maximum unlatching force shall not exceed 15 pounds (67 N).

1008.1.10.2 Balanced doors.

The answer is in condition 5

5. Where panic or fire exit hardware is required by Section 1008.1.10, operation of the listed panic or fire exit hardware also releases the electromagnetic lock.

mtlogcabin said:
The answer is in condition 55. Where panic or fire exit hardware is required by Section 1008.1.10, operation of the listed panic or fire exit hardware also releases the electromagnetic lock.
but they did not change the language in 1008.1.10 Panic and fire exit hardware 2012 edition to say you can use condtion 5.

Just looked at 2015 and it got cleaned up

1008.1.10 is for panic and fire exit hardware

1008.1.9.9 is for electromagnetically locked egress doors

Two totally different operations

1008.1.9.9 is specific to panic hardware when required.

I don't have access to the 2015 so I do not know how they could have "cleaned up" something that was pretty specific

This is the 2012 panic hardware section::::

1008.1.10 Panic and fire exit hardware.

Doors serving a Group H occupancy and doors serving rooms or spaces with an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E occupancy shall not be provided with a latch or lock unless it is panic hardware or fire exit hardware.

Exception: A main exit of a Group A occupancy in compliance with Section 1008.1.9.3, Item 2.

Electrical rooms with equipment rated 1,200 amperes or more and over 6 feet (1829 mm) wide that contain overcurrent devices, switching devices or control devices with exit or exit access doors shall be equipped with panic hardware or fire exit hardware. The doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel.

1008.1.10.1 Installation.

Where panic or fire exit hardware is installed, it shall comply with the following:

1. Panic hardware shall be listed in accordance with UL 305;

2. Fire exit hardware shall be listed in accordance with UL 10C and UL 305;

3. The actuating portion of the releasing device shall extend at least one-half of the door leaf width; and

4. The maximum unlatching force shall not exceed 15 pounds (67 N).

1008.1.10.2 Balanced doors.

a. does not say anything about """1008.1.9.9 Electromagnetically locked egress doors""""

b. still requires panic hardware to meet UL 305.

Thanks for the info

2015 1010.1.10 exception 2 for the electromagnetically locked doors makes it easier to navigate the code. However it did not change the language or intent of the code regarding panic hardware and the installation of electromagnetically locked doors.

Don't get me wrong I like the exception placed in 1010.1.10 because 2 many "code officials" go directly to a specific section they think governs what they are looking at and stop there without looking further.

That would have been a perfect test question that most could have missed in the 2012. Some would have gone directly to the panic hardware section and others would have found the electromagnetic lock requirements. Under the 2015 it would be hard to miss

I am asking the same question again, maybe in a different way,,

IBC 2015 1010.1.9.9 with link to it in post 7 above

If panic hardware is required and it is not on a rated door, does the code allow an electronic touch bar??

The touch bar is releasing the magnetic lock The only operation it does not do is positive latching. So one less operation and potential problem

a touch bar like this:::

http://www.accutech.com/products/securitron/tsb.asp

After reading all the specs and 2015 code stuff; it appears the accutech touch sensor bar may be compliant. There is one puzzling piece; the data sheet makes reference to a button in case of sensor failure. The button doesn't show in the grainy photo and if the sensor fails so pushing a button is required, then there could be "special knowledge" to release the mag lock.

jdfruit said:
After reading all the specs and 2015 code stuff; it appears the accutech touch sensor bar may be compliant. There is one puzzling piece; the data sheet makes reference to a button in case of sensor failure. The button doesn't show in the grainy photo and if the sensor fails so pushing a button is required, then there could be "special knowledge" to release the mag lock.
I just pulled that one as an example.

I have seen touch bars with what I would call a back up button .

I feel you cannot write the code for everything that might happen.

Such as the door knob falls off in your hand, then what do you do???

cda

The 2015 language is pretty specific, a "button" that is required on sensor failure is a fairly clear violation of "special knowledge", especially for panic hardware.

Granted you cannot write the code for everything that might happen, but a button requiring special knowledge is a readily forseeable issue.

I recommend prayer when the knob falls off into your hand, otherwise have a swiss army knife and McGiver it open.

The button has nothing to do with normal operation.

Touch the bar and the magnet releases

This is from the Accutech data on the "Securiton" touch sensor door release:

"While the Touch Bar features no-moving-parts electronic reliability, it goes beyond by providing a second independent release circuit. A push button provides backup lock release function in the event of any sensor failure."

The above is the basis for my prior commentary, how would someone know what to do if the sensor fails?

Definitely need more info before saying OK to this product.