• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2012 IECC- Fireplaces

kyhowey

Silver Member
2009 IECC 402.4.3 Fireplaces. New wood-burning fireplaces shall have gasketed doors and outdoor combustion air.

I don't have a copy of the 2012. Has the "gasketed doors" been removed? What's the exact language now?

The 2012 IECC sec 402.4.2 reads as follows: New wood-burning fireplaces shall have tight fitting flue dampers and outdoor combustion air.

Just for clarification, the commentary to Section R402.4.2 acknowledges that Table R402.4.1.1 requires gasketed doors but goes on to state that not all factory-built fireplaces are tested for use with doors and that installing said doors may violate the listing and create a fire hazard. Further, that tight-fitting flue dampers may be seen as an alternate by the AHJ. Confusing - looks like we could use some better code language.

I saw it on another forum (maybe ICC's) but I wanted to know the specific language. Seems as though the fire burns at a different rate causing problems, plus the if the doors have glass, the glass may explode. Sounds like ICC didn't talk to enough people about that before writing the code.

Code requirements that void the listings and labelings are not usually around very long.... fortunately. I will be glad to see this one go away. Maybe it will take a few other crazy energy provisions with it.

kyhowey said:
I saw it on another forum (maybe ICC's) but I wanted to know the specific language. Seems as though the fire burns at a different rate causing problems, plus the if the doors have glass, the glass may explode. Sounds like ICC didn't talk to enough people about that before writing the code.
Should a gasketed glass door be used under the 2009 I-codes the requirement for the manufacturer's instructions be followed places a new practice toward the user that will increase a hazard.

In following the opinion posted in GBrackins reply #6 an example of manufacturer's brochure disclaimer stated for masonry built wood burning fire places (UL 907) as oppose to factory built (UL 127) to comply with the energy code:

“. . . a requirement that newly constructed masonry fireplaces be equipped with gasketed doors in states that have adopted IECC 2009 . . . Like any fireplace door, it is important that gasketed doors be left open while burning a hot fire. Damage to the door, door frame, and/or the tempered glass is likely to result and will not be covered under warranty. They are not designed to be used or sold as an “air tight” option to a . . . woodstove, or fireplace insert.”

The 2012 edition revision keeps the normal routine in place of opening and closing the damper and fresh air openings to seal air infiltration and removes the hazards from the earlier requirement that invited Darwinism.

As a plan reviewer I would allow the modification towards the 2012 under the 2009.

Francis

yes it was removed because of safety isuses(sic)
So if its been removed from the 2012 for safety reasons does anyone know if it there's been a deletion or revision to the 2009?
NO, it was not removed.The fact is that the requirement was moved from IECC 402.4.3 and IRC N1102.4.3 to the Table 402.4.1.1 and Table N1102.4.1.1, respectively. In addition, the requirement now applies to all fireplaces, not just wood-burning fireplaces.

Code change proposal EC13-09/10 submitted by Ron Majette, representing the US DOE deleted the requirement for "gasketed doors" for "wood-burning" fireplaces from 402.4.3, but added it to the Table under (all) Fireplaces. Ditto for N1102.4.3. FWIW, there were over 20 public comments submitted for each Part I and Part II of this proposed change and not one addressed this portion of the change. Also, not one of those comments came from a fireplace manufacture.

With respect to

tight-fitting flue dampers may be seen as an alternate by the AHJ
- sounds like a test setup for the CO devices/smoke alarms to me. :confused: The commentary is not code.
Sounds like ICC didn't talk to enough people about that before writing the code.
ICC doesn't "write" the code, they facilitate hearings and publish the code. Any interested party can propose code changes, but only governmental employee members (code officials/inspectors) have the final vote to include or reject changes.

Q: Section 402.4.3 requires new, wood-burning fireplaces to have gasketed doors. What is the intent of this provision?

A: To be clear, Section 402.4.3 addresses “wood-burning fireplaces,” as derived from Code Change EC64-07/08, Part I (AM). In the supporting reason to this proposal, the conditions for adding the language were to address concerns for energy savings derived from the minimizing air leakage during periods of non-use and indoor air quality concerns.

Since certain UL-127 “factory-built” fireplaces are listed and labeled to burn wood, and the installation of gaskets would violate conditions of their listing; we interpret this to mean “masonry fireplaces” constructed in accordance with the International Building Code–Section 2111, and NOT “factory-built” fireplaces manufactured in accordance with the International Mechanical Code–Section 903. Our rationale is derived from the confusion with respect to requirements for “gasketed doors.”

Worth noting here, is that there are numerous ways to minimize air leakage through the fireplace during periods of non-use without requiring gasketed doors. For example, there are several low emission units considered part of the EPA Cleaner Burning Fireplace Program which are “tightly sealed,” yet do not utilize gasketed doors.

Accordingly, and solely for “factory-built fireplaces,” we recommend pursuing relief from the proviso for “gasketed doors” administratively vis-à-vis IECC Sections 101.3 (“… this code is not intended to abridge safety … requirements contained in other applicable codes or ordinances.”) and 102.1 (“… provided that such construction [or] design … has been approved by the code official as meeting the intent of this code.”). (2009 IECC 402.4.3)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – Module III

Francis