• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2012 IRC Section 302 Fire-Resistant Construction

T-Bird

R302.2 Townhouses

Section 302.2.2.1 Continuity. The fire-resistance-rated wall or assembly separating townhouses shall be continuous from the foundation to the underside for the roof sheathing, deck or slab.

If I have an intervening floor assembly what do I need to provide this continuity?

And what about floors over crawlspaces?

I am inclined to show either 3" min. solid rim or blocking or provide a layer of 5/8 type "x" gwb protection at a single 2x rim or blocking.

I eagerly wait to hear from you.

I would check with the AHJ, see if they will accept it.

We see a lot of 2 hr shaft walls, solves the problem.

Townhouses can have a common 2-hour wall or two separate one hour walls. What the IRC is describing is a party wall (for a common wall).

Shaft liner from foundation to sheathing then frt plywood is most common here (no parapet)