• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2013 CALGreen Code

mark handler

SAWHORSE
The CBSC has posted two new doc*uments highlight*ing changes com*ing with the 2013 CALGreen Code: one for non-residential http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/bsc/documents/2013/2013-Green-Building-Standards-Updates.pdf and the second for residential buildings http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/bsc/documents/2013/2013-Green-Residential-Mandatory.pdf developed by the Department of Housing and Com*munity Development. To browse to the guide*books page from bsc.ca.gov, look for CALGreen under the Educa*tional tab. CALGreen is the short name for the Cal*ifor*nia Green Building Standards Code in Part 11 of Title 24, California Code of Regulations.

Mark, I noticed that they are removing the notes in section 407.2.2, that required overhangs/recesses and nonabsorbent floor+wall finishes around / perpendicular to openings. This leaves only the general /subjective requirement to "Design exterior entries and/or openings subject to foot traffic or wind-driven rain to prevent water intrusion into buildings."

I have a plan checker who is saying that my 1'-9" roof overhang is not meeting the intent of the current overhang note. Will I be better off, or worse off, with subjective design criteria?

2013 CALIFORNIA GREEN BUILDING STANDARDS CODE

A4.407.7 Roof overhangs. A permanent overhang or awning at least 2 feet in depth is provided at all exterior walls.

1'-9" roof overhang does not meet the letter of the current/proposed overhang code.

Will that eave have a gutter? If so, you can add the width of that, should be able to come up with 24" no problem.

I have problem with plan check comments that state the design does not comply with the intent of the code. The intent of the code is listed in the code for two reason. First to place limits on the interpretations of the code that the building official makes and to provide guidance when the applicant requests a deviation in Sections 104.10 and 104.11. It is improper to invoke the intent as a way to impose a requirement that differs from that stated in the code.

I appreciate that Mark H provided an actual reference to A4.407.7. Unfortunately, that is a voluntary residential measure. My project is commercial (5.407.2.2), so the letter of the code in A4.407.7 doesn't apply here, and I'm left with a plan checker guessing about the intent.

Another par tof the same project has a 3' overhang but it is a higher gable end overhang, and the plan checker is wondering about blown-in rain. Again, nothing measurable to hang our hat on.