• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2014 NEC AFCI Changes Preview

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Here is another video explaining some of the changes coming in the 2014 NEC. I am still in the 2008 so this is just fluff info for me right now.

[video=youtube;wiZTxMCBXDU]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Ain't America Great? Ka ching :)

Last edited by a moderator:
pwood said:
is there an arc fault type receptacle even on the market yet?
I think that Leviton does but in my humble opinion, I would prefer an OCPD that protects the entire circuit, not just a receptacle, even if "daisy chained" (I would like to meet the Daisy girl btw)

Leviton is the only one on the market at this time- as far as I know.

Kichen and laundries will need afci so now we will have afci as well as gfci for the kitchen and in some case the laundry.

At one time, I thought that the intent was to go to a "whole house", AFCI rated, main breaker,

rather than piece-mealing sections of the structure.

globe trekker said:
At one time, I thought that the intent was to go to a "whole house", AFCI rated, main breaker,rather than piece-mealing sections of the structure.

That will never happen and one would be crazy to install it. Can you imagine whenever a vacuum or some appliance with a problem is plugged in and the entire house goes out. No thanks- that would be a very dangerous situation, IMO.

Dennis said:
Leviton is the only one on the market at this time- as far as I know. Kichen and laundries will need afci so now we will have afci as well as gfci for the kitchen and in some case the laundry.
Under the 2014 NEC all 125 volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles located in the laundry area will require GFCI protection.

Chris

Dennis said:
That will never happen and one would be crazy to install it. Can you imagine whenever a vacuum or some appliance with a problem is plugged in and the entire house goes out. No thanks- that would be a very dangerous situation, IMO.
I agree an AFCI main breaker is a horrible idea.

Chris

jar546 said:
Here is another video explaining some of the changes coming in the 2014 NEC. I am still in the 2008 so this is just fluff info for me right now.[video=youtube;wiZTxMCBXDU]

This was painful to watch. He says "uhh" an aweful lot, the long the pauses, and please look at the camera (teleprompter perhaps?) They could have done a few more takes.

Greetings,

Why not just require everything in the house to be hardwired while at the same time require all persons to wear PPE when using electrical equipment, hair driers and the like?

BSSTG

Much better that only one circuit goes out, I suppose.. note to self.. it is always a faulty appliance and not the installation.