• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2015 IEBC/ Take out permit under a repair and then move to an Alteration ( 1 or 2)

Michael Corbett

Fire restoration on a 4 story, 3B, R-2 apartment building. Water damage required removal of all sheetrock in the building. Client wants to start with a repair permit and then move to Alteration ( most likely level 2) after starting. Any issues with this approach?

The only logic i can imagine is that they could possibly get started sooner. But if they plan to make layout changes … doesn’t make sense.

Fire restoration on a 4 story, 3B, R-2 apartment building. Water damage required removal of all sheetrock in the building. Client wants to start with a repair permit and then move to Alteration ( most likely level 2) after starting. Any issues with this approach?
If he is just doing an R&R ( Remove and Replace) wet drywall with like and same, and perhaps make sure that the "Shared Unit Walls and Ceiling" be Fire Code Drywall with NO CHANGE TO LAYOUT be a good way to keep a simple job, Simple

Thank you for all the feedback. Owner found a Consultant that was willing to pursue as a repair. I couldn't go along with that conclusion.
Not sure why you were uncomfortable with that simple approach, unless you see more extensive damage.
It didn't sound like you were trying to pull a fast one

The Code official would have objected if your inspection after demo of Gyp would have uncovered any areas of concern and/ or the Code Official could have amended the permit to cover a new scope.

Your call, like my friend is fond of saying: Your Circus, Your Monkey!

What is wrong with the position that a permit is for specific work scope which can be modified if the applicant submits appropriate documentation. The revision could trigger additional fees and inspections. As long as the changes are appropriately submitted what difference does it make if the original permit scope work was for a repair?

What is wrong with the position that a permit is for specific work scope which can be modified if the applicant submits appropriate documentation. The revision could trigger additional fees and inspections. As long as the changes are appropriately submitted what difference does it make if the original permit scope work was for a repair?
The tone of the post seemed to say to me that the person posting the question thought that the scope MIGHT BE more than a Repair. It sounded to me that the person was Acting In Good Faith.

So, perhaps like you, I didn't see anything wrong in getting the ball rolling with a Remove and Replace water damaged Drywall

Not sure you understood my post. It is easy to read too much or too little into this kind of a format, if I am understanding your remark

Best, Mike