1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

2015 Pool & Spa Code

Discussion in 'Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs' started by Keystone, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

I agree with you Glenn that the barrier should be at least 48" high no matter where it is but just wanted a discussion on it and I wonder if it would hold up in court. I had many instances where a existing deck on the back of a house leads to a new pool where they haven't raised the deck guard to comply.

Glenn likes this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Corporate Supporter
    Staff Member

Yup, I've seen it too. The worst is the "innocent" fence replacement permit. In my city the building inspectors had to do the fence inspections, but really there is no building code for fence, so we just had to check planning division requirements like type of fence and setback from public ways, etc. So many time I show up to what a home "thinks" was just a fence replacement, but actually was a barrier for their pool. I remember one that was huge and fancy powder coated steel. It wasn't even close to complying. It was sad to break that news. No building code for fence... lots of building code for barrier... Most fence contractors and homeowners don't know the difference.

my250r11 likes this.