• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 705.2 Projections

Robin

Section 705.2

Cornices, eave overhangs, exterior balconies and similar projections extending beyond the exterior wall shall conform to the requirements of this section and Section 1405 respectively.

There is no explicit definition for an exterior balcony in the code. How does Section 705.2 apply to typical balconies in multifamily construction where they may be partially or fully recessed? What is the definition of an exterior wall in this context?

Section 705.2.3.1 Exception #3
Balconies and similar projections on buildings of Types III, IV, and V construction shall be permitted to be of Type V construction and shall not be required to have a fire-resistance rating where sprinkler protection is extended to these areas.

I am trying to determine if ALL exterior balconies in Type III, IV, and V construction can be non-rated under Exception 3.

""""""""""I am trying to determine if ALL exterior balconies in Type III, IV, and V construction can be non-rated under Exception 3."""""""""""

" I am trying to determine if ALL exterior balconies in Type III, IV, and V construction can be non-rated under Exception 3."

Simple answer is NO,,

Because not all balconies require fire sprinkler protection.

cda -

Will you please elaborate on your answer that not all balconies require sprinkler protection?

2015 is 903.3.1.2.1

If there is no roof line, cover, whatever you want to call it above a balcony

No sprinkler protection is required outside

But you could still have the balcony projection

2015 is 903.3.1.2.1

If there is no roof line, cover, whatever you want to call it above a balcony

No sprinkler protection is required outside

But you could still have the balcony projection

OK - so if it's a recessed balcony with a roof and sprinkler protection, exception #3 applies and the floor can be non-rated? I'm trying to get back to Section 702 in my original question.

Thank you.

I read to use the exception, the particular balcony has to have fire sprinkler protection.

To be clear, you believe the code exception applies to any type of exterior balcony whether it's recessed and covered or projecting out from the building?

Thank you.

Correct..as long as it is still a BALCONY....

Balcony
A platform that projects from the wall of a building, and which is enclosed on its outer three sides by a balustrade, railing, or parapet.

Last edited: