• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 IBC 1103.2.2 Employee Work Areas. Circular or 'T' space.

Jamie Holmes

When complying with "approach, enter and exit the work area" portion of the code, would every space with a single exit/exit access, no matter the room size (closet exception noted), be required to have a circular or 'T' space (304.3.1 & 304.3.2 ICC A117.1-2009) for persons in wheelchairs to turn around to exit? I suppose they could back out of this small laundry/janitorial room, but is that compliant with the intent of IBC 1103.2.2? The required door approaches/maneuvering clearances are in place in this design, though I'm arguing with myself as to the backwards direction of approach to the door.

I deal with several state codes and recall reading somewhere that a turning space was required in every room or space required to be accessible. Now of course I can't find those words anywhere. Even if I could find them, the requirement for an employee work area is only to approach, enter and exit. Nothing else in the room or space is required to be accessible. Does anyone with solid ADA/accessibility knowledge recognize the rabbit hole I'm in, and have any guidance with code support to offer?