• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2018 IEBC/IBC Fireblocking required in existing wood floor?

redbird11

SAWHORSE
Hello,
I'm coming to you all for a reality check on my interpretation. What I'm dealing with is a historic wood floor on sleepers with open air gaps between the sleepers. Now we're adding new metal stud walls and my question is whether it's required to cut into the floor to take the metal stud walls down to the top of concrete or if it's allowable to attach the bottom track to the top of the existing wood floor?

It’s an existing building determined to be II-A for new construction or altered elements. Also has some historic preservation.

2018 IEBC
801.3 Compliance
New construction elements, components, systems, and spaces shall comply with the requirements of the International Building Code.

Exceptions: None Applicable

2018 IBC
805.1.1 Subfloor construction.
Floor sleepers, bucks and nailing blocks shall not be constructed of combustible materials, unless the space between
the fire-resistance-rated floor assembly and the flooring is either solidly filled with noncombustible materials or
fireblocked in accordance with Section 718, and provided that such open spaces shall not extend under or through
permanent partitions or walls.

Sleepers, bucks and nailing blocks are permitted to be of combustible materials only where the void space is filled
with a noncombustible material or is fireblocked in accordance with Section 718. Section 718 permits a maximum
concealed space area of 100 square feet (9.3 m ). In either case, the open spaces cannot extend under or through
permanent partitions or walls. The purpose of the fill or fireblocking is to reduce the impact of a fire in a concealed
combustible space in the floor. Likewise, fire spread around partitions or walls through the concealed space in the
floor is also intended to be prevented.

So my interpretation is that the stud walls must have fireblocking below them or cut through the floor placing the bottom track on the top of concrete. What is your interpretation?

Last edited:
2018 IBC
SECTION 805
COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS IN
TYPES I AND II CONSTRUCTION

Unless the building is Type I or II construction 805 is not applicable

2018 IBC
SECTION 805
COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS IN
TYPES I AND II CONSTRUCTION

Unless the building is Type I or II construction 805 is not applicable
It’s an existing building determined to be II-A for new construction or altered elements. Also has some historic preservation.