• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2020 NEC Question

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Except for __________ all 120-volt, single phase, 15-and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling units shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination type installed to protect the branch circuit.

1. bathrooms
  2. bedrooms
  3. kitchens
  4. laundry rooms

Bathrooms I think, but don't know why. (Are detached garages and exterior outlets still excepted? Problem of still being on amended 2017.)

Bathrooms are not required to be arc-fault protected. I don't know why either.

At this point, garages, attics, and bathrooms are pretty much the only circuits that do not require arc-fault protection at this point. I wish they would change over to a list of places that don't require AFCI instead of the really long list that is basically everywhere in a house...

Or just say "AFCI protection is required for every circuit 20 amps and smaller in dwelling units". We all know that is where they are going, just get it over with already.

Bathrooms.

Don't know if it's true, but I heard it was because hair dryers would set off the old AFCI. Also heard it had to do with the damp environment. Anybody else heard similar, or some other explanation?

Bathrooms.

Don't know if it's true, but I heard it was because hair dryers would set off the old AFCI. Also heard it had to do with the damp environment. Anybody else heard similar, or some other explanation?
"Everything" sets off the AFCIs....From what I hear...

When the NEC first started requiring GFIs many moons ago there were problems with appliances tripping them. That's why refrigerator and freezer outlets were exempt at first. A GFI couldn't tell the difference between internal current leakage and somebody getting shocked. Since then appliance manufacturers have gotten less sloppy with current leakage and it isn't a problem. Similarly, an AFCI can't tell the difference between internal sparking and arcing in the wiring. I suspect that manufacturers will gradually reduce internal sparking in appliances, but it will probably take some time before it isn't a problem any longer.