• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2021 IRC/ IECC "issue"

steveray

SAWHORSE
Soooo……Stuff to look at in the 2021 IRC (and maybe IECC for residential). Basically, new ductwork in alterations and additions are pretty much exempt from N1103 (IMO for whatever that is worth) as the new sections are written. A contractor called me and asked about the duct testing stuff and when I couldn’t find our previous 40’ exception to not test I looked into it further:

N1110.3.2 (R502.3.2) Heating and cooling systems.

HVAC ducts newly installed as part of an addition shall comply with Section N1103.

Exception: Where ducts from an existing heating and cooling system are extended to an addition.

N1111.1.2 (R503.1.2) Heating and cooling systems.

HVAC ducts newly installed as part of an alteration shall comply with Section N1103.

Exception: Where ducts from an existing heating and cooling system are extended.

Where they screwed up is N1103 is not just duct testing as alluded to in the commentary, it is the insulation, sealing, and testing. Waiving the testing I agree with, the insulation waiver is a lil dumb, if it is all conditioned space, maybe it doesn’t matter, but whatever.…..You still get sealing per Ch. 16 (M1601.4) but insulation and testing are entirely out…..Love or hate the energy code, this is bad code (IMO) and part of the reasons we need more people involved in code development…They may have “fixed” it in 2024 like the air sealed boxes, but we will see…