• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2021 NFPA 101 occupant load?

JPohling

Sawhorse
I have a very typical office tenant that has a combination of enclosed offices as well as open office areas. The open office areas are populated with 6'x8' cubicle's. We have been using the occupant load factor of 1/150 for both of these areas. When we do call centers or any benching type workstations layouts we always use the concentrated business usage occupant load factor of 1/50.

I now have a State Fire Marshal that is demanding that we use the 1/50 concentrated business use for all open office areas. He states that 2021 NFPA 101 has a more restrictive definition of "concentrated business use" I have been thru 2018 and 2021 NFPA 101 and I cannot find any definition. In table A7.3.1.2 there is a footnote on the concentrated business use that sends you to code section 7.3.1.2 "occupant load factor" But there is no mention of concentrated business use or and definition.

We have furniture plans of the workstations and the power and data is being provided to support these workstations.

What do you people more versed in NFPA 101 think?

I have a very typical office tenant that has a combination of enclosed offices as well as open office areas. The open office areas are populated with 6'x8' cubicle's. We have been using the occupant load factor of 1/150 for both of these areas. When we do call centers or any benching type workstations layouts we always use the concentrated business usage occupant load factor of 1/50.

I now have a State Fire Marshal that is demanding that we use the 1/50 concentrated business use for all open office areas. He states that 2021 NFPA 101 has a more restrictive definition of "concentrated business use" I have been thru 2018 and 2021 NFPA 101 and I cannot find any definition. In table A7.3.1.2 there is a footnote on the concentrated business use that sends you to code section 7.3.1.2 "occupant load factor" But there is no mention of concentrated business use or and definition.

We have furniture plans of the workstations and the power and data is being provided to support these workstations.

What do you people more versed in NFPA 101 think?
If you're facing a discrepancy between your understanding of NFPA 101 and the State Fire Marshal's interpretation, you should first seek clarification from the authority having jurisdiction. If the 2021 version of NFPA 101 does not explicitly define "concentrated business use" in the way the Fire Marshal claims, it might be helpful to have that discussion backed by the specific code sections.

Your best course of action may involve presenting your furniture plans and data infrastructure as evidence supporting your case. This could demonstrate that your layout doesn't meet the criteria for "concentrated business use," assuming those criteria can be clearly identified. If the Fire Marshal insists on his interpretation, you may want to consider legal consultation or appeal to a higher authority within the regulatory framework to resolve the issue.

There is a note for concentrated business, use, note 'b', that points to Annex A Explanatory Material.

A.7.3.1.2
When using Table 7.3.1.2, the actual use of the space and not the occupancy classification should be considered.
The normal occupant load is not necessarily a suitable criterion, because the greatest hazard can occur when an unusually large crowd is present, which is a condition often difficult for authorities having jurisdiction to control by regulatory measures. The principle of this Code is to provide means of egress for the maximum probable number of occupants, rather than to attempt to limit occupants to a number commensurate with available means of egress. However, limits of occupancy are specified in certain special cases for other reasons.
The value for concentrated business use is intended to address business use spaces with a higher density of occupants than would normally be expected in a general business occupancy. Where furnishings and floor layouts are arranged to maximize the number of occupants in the space, the value for concentrated business use should be applied. Examples of concentrated business use areas are call centers, trading floors, and data processing centers.

I hope this helps.

Ah, the subtleties of Table 7.3.1.2—a nuanced narrative, not unlike a Graham Greene novel. You see, my friends, the crux here isn't merely a matter of code, but of foresight. This table speaks to us of probabilities, not certainties. It's a chessboard, and the game is one of predicting the opponent's moves—unusually large crowds, you might say.

Your focus on "concentrated business use" is apt; it's the joker in the deck, bending rules to suit denser populations. Think call centers, data processing hubs, trading floors—all hives of frenzied activity. In these spaces, the usual metrics need not apply. One must prepare for the maximum number of occupants, a testament to the Code's principle.

In short, if you're furnishing your arena to host a multitude, then play by those rules. If not, well, stick to the old playbook. Choose your strategy wisely.

If you're facing a discrepancy between your understanding of NFPA 101 and the State Fire Marshal's interpretation, you should first seek clarification from the authority having jurisdiction. If the 2021 version of NFPA 101 does not explicitly define "concentrated business use" in the way the Fire Marshal claims, it might be helpful to have that discussion backed by the specific code sections.

Your best course of action may involve presenting your furniture plans and data infrastructure as evidence supporting your case. This could demonstrate that your layout doesn't meet the criteria for "concentrated business use," assuming those criteria can be clearly identified. If the Fire Marshal insists on his interpretation, you may want to consider legal consultation or appeal to a higher authority within the regulatory framework to resolve the issue.
The submitted plans show the furniture layout as well as the Electrical and Data connections to support them. NFPA 101 only seems to define "business use" and not "concentrated business use" 3.3.198.3. I was at least hoping to find this elusive definition in the NFPA to see how it aligns with the Building Code definition.

The submitted plans show the furniture layout as well as the Electrical and Data connections to support them. NFPA 101 only seems to define "business use" and not "concentrated business use" 3.3.198.3. I was at least hoping to find this elusive definition in the NFPA to see how it aligns with the Building Code definition.
I believe my second response is more detailed and explains the SFM's opinion better.

I believe my second response is more detailed and explains the SFM's opinion better.
Thanks Jar! I missed that response. I also missed the "A" on the footnote. I do not spend much time in NFPA. But this is perfect.
Where furnishings and floor layouts are arranged to maximize the number of occupants in the space, the value for concentrated business use should be applied. Our furniture and layout is far from maximization of the space. Concentrated business use occupant load factor should not be imposed.

We can easily accept the additional occupant load imposed by the concentrated business use load factor without any changes to our exiting, but that is not the point. If I extrapolate (using this concept) to all open office areas within the various suites on the floorplate you would often exceed 500 occupants on the floor and there are only two stairs. This concept would then require three exit stairs. This is a larger problem from my perspective.

The idea that you cannot control what happens within the space after final occurs on every project. Every private office could easily become a conference room. The testing room with light soldering could become a H-4. not sure when you would stop.

It could be exaggerated by how our exiting plans are calculated. We show occupant load calcs for each type of space. Storage, Waiting, Break, Conference, and office. The office occupant load is just the enclosed office areas. The balance of the space we calculate as open office. This includes the furnished areas of open office as well as all circulation paths, corridors/hallways etc. This places a large amount of area within the open office category that is not used for anything other than circulation.