• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2022 Section 3002.4 Elevator Car to Accommodate Ambulance Stretcher

ArtC

Hello,
I need clarity on this section is it applies to this part, " Where elevators are provided in buildings four or more stories above, or for or more stories below, grade plane,
not fewer than one elevator shall be provided for fire department access to all floors."

I have a five story, S1 occupancy building (1st floor Type-1 podium, and 4 stories Type 2B above. I have with two elevators. Since the above states elevator needed for fire department emergency access. Do I need to provide standby power for the elevator? Is there a code section that states this requirement?
Thank you.
Art

I pulled this from 2018 IBC chapter 30:

3007.8 Electrical Power

The following features serving each fire service access elevator shall be supplied by both normal power and Type 60/Class 2/Level 1 standby power:
  1. Elevator equipment.
  2. Elevator hoistway lighting.
  3. Ventilation and cooling equipment for elevator machine rooms, control rooms, machine spaces and control spaces.
  4. Elevator car lighting.
Section 3007 is dedicated to Fire Service Access Elevators and their requirements

Hello,
I need clarity on this section is it applies to this part, " Where elevators are provided in buildings four or more stories above, or for or more stories below, grade plane,
not fewer than one elevator shall be provided for fire department access to all floors."

I have a five story, S1 occupancy building (1st floor Type-1 podium, and 4 stories Type 2B above. I have with two elevators. Since the above states elevator needed for fire department emergency access. Do I need to provide standby power for the elevator? Is there a code section that states this requirement?
Thank you.
Art
You mention Fire Department access in 3002.4, but it is possible that the standby power requirement is coming from a different code section.
  • Assuming the project is also somewhere in CA, then CBC 1009.2.1 says that for the fifth story (literally, for "four or more stories above or below a level of exit discharge") an accessible means of egress (AMOE) must include an elevator complying with 1009.4.
  • CBC 1009.4.1 further requires that elevators serving as an AMOE be provided with standby power for operation and signaling in accordance with Chapter 27 and Section 3003.

Last edited: