• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

20a GFCI circuit breaker vs standard breaker and a GFCI receptacle

cprodge

Residential Application...
I am adding a small bathroom. It only requires one 20a receptacle.
I am adding a sump station. It only requires one 20a receptacle.
May I put standard breakers in, one for each of these individual circuits, then each has its single GFCI protected receptacle?
Peace n thx!

Adding the bathroom, I would say that it must follow the current adopted electrical code. Most current NEC I believe requires pretty much AFCI/GFCI protection on all recepts. Lots of looks at these, nobody else weighted in?

I think the code requires the protection, but not how. I would think one or the other is fine.

Most current NEC I believe requires pretty much AFCI/GFCI protection on all recepts.
Maybe in Colorado and I haven't seen the 2023 NEC but there's still plenty of standard circuits in the 2020 NEC.

I misspoke, it is not required for bathrooms, but the sump would require it.

This is from the 2023, but the requirement is in the 2020 also, it is just not a laundry list, but incorporated in the Article itself.

1686268490269.png
1686268538188.png

1686268968544.png

Attachments

• 1686268576686.png
    1686268576686.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 0
GFCI 2020 NEC

210.8(A) Dwelling Units.
All 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A)(1) through(A)(11) and supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated150 volts or less to ground shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
(1) Bathrooms

422.5 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter (GFCI) Protection for Personnel.

(A) General. Appliances identified in 422.5(A)(1) through(A) (7) rated 150 volts or less to ground and 60 amperes or less,single- or 3-phase, shall be provided with Class A GFCI protetion for personnel. Multiple Class A GFCI protective devices shall be permitted but shall not be required.
1 Automotive vacuum machines
2 Drinking water coolers and bottle fill stations
3 Cord and plug connected high pressure spray washing machines
4 Tire inflation machines
5 Vending machines
6 Sump pumps
7 Dishwasher

Last edited:
I misspoke, it is not required for bathrooms, but the sump would require it.
AFCI 2020 NEC

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required in 210.12(A), (B), (C), and (D). The arc-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed indwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of the means described in 210.12(A) (1) through (6):

Last edited:
I was still looking in the 2023, looks like #14 "other similar areas" is not included in the laundry list in previous cycles for AFCI protection.