• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

210.60(B)

dcspector

Bronze Member
How are we interpreting (sounds simple doesn't it) "permanent furniture layout" is it set in place loosley or flat out fixed / bolted down "as in can't move it" ? Thanks having a debate with an A/E firm. This is pertaining to Dorm units at one of our major college campus's here in The District.

Re: 210.60(B)

most residential (even single family) anymore have the rooms laid out (small) that there is only one logical place for the furniture.

Having said that and having lived in a dorm (900 years ago), we always boosted one bed perpendicular to the bottom one, and braced on the window sill and dresser... to make room for the little refrigerator.. and well.. beer.

If the minimum number of receptacles required by 210.60(B) are installed elswhere in the room / area, then

the "permanent furniture layout" is, IMO, mute! If they are not providing the minimum number of

required recptacles in the rest of the room / area, then the "permanent furniture layout" discussion is

vital to meeting this article requirements ( i.e. - the furniure would have to be so installed so as to "NOT'

be moveable and thus not meeting the letter of the requirement )

Like peach said, it's almost "anything goes" in regard to dorm room designs.

Peach thanks for your reply. Answered like a true politician. :roll: This post was more of a general consensus. Thanks "all" My answer and response is bolt the furniture down and that will be my answer to the RFI.

looking at the layout in question.. there is a fixed desk area.. and no where to move the bed.

In hotels, usually, the only "fixed" thing is the headboard.. you can move the bed around...

If the furniture is provided by the institution, it's permanent.. I think..