• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

225.32 - Disconnect Location - "... nearest the point of entrance of the conductors"

rossn

Hello,

Have a small storage shed abutting a dwelling, about 1" in-between the two. Currently there is a 8" sleeve/conduit running between the dwelling and shed (through brick). A single 20A branch circuit would be routed to the shed, and the entry point is at the back of the shed, between some built in shelves, about 24-30" from an exterior wall. That wasn't a good choice, but it is now there.

2017 NEC:
1682146081120.png

Would inspectors generally flag or consider it acceptable for the disconnect to be located on the exterior of the shed, which would mean about 30" from the point of entrance of the conductors into the shed, provided the NM is guarded sufficiently by 2x4's (or if needed, a conduit sleeve)?

Thanks!

1682145905834.png

As an alternative, I could pretty easily put a disconnect about 12" from the shed on the main building, and ahead of entering the shed (NM would still route 30" before entering the shed). I think this also does not explicitly meet 225.32, but perhaps a bit more permissible by an AHJ if labeled as 'Shed Disconnect'.

While I made a mistake in not having the sleeve as close to the outer wall as possible (14" from exterior of shed), the alternative to sleeve is running conduit on the exterior of the home to the shed, and given a 3-4" offset and gutter downspout in the way, would not look very workman like.

I supposed a third alternative here would be to locate the disconnect at the point of entry and remove a section of shelf in front of it and partition it from the other shelves. However, reality is that somehow something would get stacked in front of the shelves, so while meeting code, would not be as safe in practice.

1682173786123.png

I suppose a 4th alternative, which could be more compliant is something like this (I'd still have to to check minimum height for a disconnect). I am assuming that a disconnect would not be considered readily accessible if located under the deck, closer to the house.

1682177011026.png

First of all...NM can't be outside.....If it is a branch circuit or feeder, I wouldn't be too harsh on disco location...
Ok, thanks. Yes, wouldn't run NM outside of the shed. Actually going through the back wall of the shed to the residence with a PVC sleeve... only about 1" separation between the two, and under a 24" overhang.

It can't be outside....Even in a sleeve.....

Understood. To be honest, my building official is pretty level headed, and do not think he would be concerned about it or flag me. I don't believe that 1" run represents a significant safety risk or condensation beyond the 1/4" of outside space that every piece of service equipment, disconnect, or any other surface mounted box would have.

That said, in the spirit of compliance, is there any reason UF-B could not be run from the panel to the shed, first through the home?