• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

24 inch ceiling clearance

Now that I'm not a freeloader :oops: I can see the file that cda posted. Exactly what I needed. If that doesn't make my case I don't know what will. Thanks cda and thanks to all. I'll let you know how the re-inspection comes out.

MarkF said:
Now that I'm not a freeloader :oops: I can see the file that cda posted. Exactly what I needed. If that doesn't make my case I don't know what will. Thanks cda and thanks to all. I'll let you know how the re-inspection comes out.
Welcome to the wild wild world of codes!!!!!

Send your co businesses so they can join and do battle in the code world

Sounds like they may need some help once in awhile

But he's still locked up on fire load. He gave me the same story about a fire starting low and reaching combustible material close to the ceiling, flaring up and not giving the FD time to respond.
There is a phrase we professionals use in our industry........."You can't enforce will". Strictly based on the photo it appears to be a typical Class C ( <3000 s.f.) mercantile occupancy. Someone, please provide a code section from a reliable reference stating one can not store or display materials as depicted in the photo. Now if beyond the photo the place is loaded to the ceiling, I would be able to find code text limiting it to a degree but not as is being indicated in these posts.

If I can't get resolution here is there means of appeal?
Yes......file an appeal with the township, village or city management and request the code section being cited since (again as depicted) the photo is in compliance with [315.2.1]

Last edited by a moderator:
FM William Burns said:
There is a phrase we professionals use in our industry........."You can't enforce will". ]
I like that saying. I also like the way you qualify your answers with "as depicted". Tells me you know your stuff and rely on the evidence and the rules to make a decision.

Oh, and I love Fire Marshal Bill. Used to use some of his silliness when I gave safety meetings.

Another thing that everyone is missing is that 315.2.1 refers to storage of items within a given distance to the ceiling. The picture posted by the OP just shows some display items that may be in the restricted space. Nowhere in the code does it prohibit displays from being close to the ceiling, the code only refers to storage which is something completely different!

Msradell said:
Another thing that everyone is missing is that 315.2.1 refers to storage of items within a given distance to the ceiling. The picture posted by the OP just shows some display items that may be in the restricted space. Nowhere in the code does it prohibit displays from being close to the ceiling, the code only refers to storage which is something completely different!
Depends......

Well what about the lights they are within 24", they MUST be removed too. Wait if I remove the lights the occupants will not be able to see??? Darn codes why do they write them this way? :censored

I got to believe they must have places in town that have problems real problems, not made up bull like this. Folks like this this give All of us a bad name.

Insurance Engineer said:
Well what about the lights they are within 24", they MUST be removed too.
Dang I wish I'd thought to ask that. Did ask about the wood paneling behind the pics. After some stuttering and stammering I get "Well that's part of the wall."

I'm sorry but you will need to remove the pictures of Jane Mansfield and Marilyn Monroe since they are distracting my abilities to calculate the room growth fire dynamics of the corner room burn test criteria................ :)

Well folks, just finished the re-inspection and we passed. I believe the FM's reluctance to commit on Monday is understandable. Back your troops up until you know they're wrong. Today he agreeed with everthing ya'll have been saying and said "looks like we need some retraining."

FM says wannabe used to be a cop (Gomer sez "SERPRIZE,SERPRIZE) and the only way he knows to handle disagreement is by bullying. Tries to run his shift like that and even tried it with FM. FM told him "Look at my collar, look at yours, I win." Fire Chief had a counseling session with him yesterday over my complaint about his big-bellied sherriff act towards my wife in front of several customers.

So to make a long story longer, everything turned out fine. The Graham FD , though small,is a well run, professional organization.

Thanks to all and sorry FM William Burns, looks like Jane and Marilyn will still be there to distract you.

Mark

Fantastic all the way around

We forum site people are wrong

Most of us will listen to reason and common sense most of the time.

The codes are sometimes not clear or we run into the oddities every so often.

Enjoy, it is only getting warmer

Did you happen to have these replies printed out and showed them to the FM??

Had it bookmarked and ready on my tablet. Didn't need it today. I did quote ya'll on Monday and he may have realized that ya'll had me prepared and so he did some research. Today I quoted the comments about the first inspector making everybody look bad. He agreed and that's when he told me the jerk was an ex-cop. Said "I don't get to pick who works for me or he wouldn't."

MarkF said:
Well folks, just finished the re-inspection and we passed. I believe the FM's reluctance to commit on Monday is understandable. Back your troops up until you know they're wrong. Today he agreeed with everthing ya'll have been saying and said "looks like we need some retraining."FM says wannabe used to be a cop (Gomer sez "SERPRIZE,SERPRIZE) and the only way he knows to handle disagreement is by bullying. Tries to run his shift like that and even tried it with FM. FM told him "Look at my collar, look at yours, I win." Fire Chief had a counseling session with him yesterday over my complaint about his big-bellied sherriff act towards my wife in front of several customers.

So to make a long story longer, everything turned out fine. The Graham FD , though small,is a well run, professional organization.

Thanks to all and sorry FM William Burns, looks like Jane and Marilyn will still be there to distract you.

Mark
Congrats on the outcome of your situation. Nice to see a professional handle the situation correctly.

Great news MF....I love some nice eye candy during inspections. I always stay focused and hope the inspector can realize it takes about five years to "get the badge out of your head and back on your shirt." Customer service comes with training and time spent regulating. One learns to be able to explain deficiencies so the customer understands and wants to correct them realizing that an inspector is providing their customer with a risk prevention assessment. There should never be a need to write tickets or bluff your way to achieve compliance.

Glad it worked out and best wishes to your wife's store. FMWB