• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2406.3 (6) Hazardous location

SCBO1

Platinum Member
What is meant by the 24-inch arc? Would this pertain to door swinging into a glass wall at 90-degrees.

An example would be nice if you can post it!

pc1

http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/showthread.php?909-Section-R308-4-in-the-IRC

??

382108072.jpg

Thanks, marc, I thought we covered this, I should have remembered Northstar's big ***** fonts!

The issue I have is like figure R308.4(6) but the wall extends further down the hall with glass, so the door knob and door would bang into the wall, unless a door closer was used, but I still think this applies.

pc1

GlazingFigure05.jpg

GlazingFigure04.jpg

Glass perpendicular to the door and on the latch side (see Figure 5). This exemption seems to imply that the danger is greater when someone could open the door and push an unsuspecting person on the other side into the perpendicular sidelite. Since they would be pushed away from the sidelite on the latch side, it is exempt, while the one on the hinge side is not. The perpendicular sidelite in Figure 10 requires safety glass because it is on the hinge side. This exception does not apply to commercial buildings.

http://www.ashireporter.org/articles/articles.aspx?id=2198

6. Glazing in an individual fixed or operable panel adjacent to a door where the nearest exposed edge of the glazing is within a 24-inch (610 mm) arc of either vertical edge of the door in a closed position and where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) above the walking surface.

That is how my code reads......arc measured from either edge......latch side included.....