• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2603.4.1.6 Attics and Crawl Spaces

Fritz

Bronze Member
An old horse not quiet beaten to death yet.

I have an attic, just an attic, no utilites to service nothing other than just an attic.

Within the attic there are different levels and on the vertical portions within this attic they used a foam product.

The horizontal surfaces are all fiberglass insulation.

Historically I would have required an ignition barrier over the foam as per section 2603.4.1.6.

I was asked why? Since no utilities were present, why do I have to do anything?

It must be a full moon, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here's one reason why - R314.1.2 Thermal barrier. Foam plastic, except where otherwise noted, shall be separated from the interior of a building by minimum 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board or an approved finish material equivalent to a thermal barrier to limit the average temperature rise of the unexposed surface to no more than 250°F (121°C) after 15 minutes of fire exposure to the ASTM E 119 standard time temperature curve. The gypsum board shall be installed using a mechanical fastening system in accordance with Section R702.3.5. Reliance on adhesives to ensure that the gypsum board will remain in place when exposed to fire shall be prohibited.

It might actually be better for you if there are "utilities" in the attic, because there is an exception that would allow the foam to be covered by other materials. Otherwise, its an attic for storage of stuff and for kids to play in.

I follow your thoughts. Which when pondered has brings up a few thoughts.

Yes, an occupied old fashion attic, no question thermal barrier.

An unoccupied attic with equipment needing service only, lesser protection. Again no question, ignition barrier.

But an unoccupied, unused attic, other than to keep the rain off the insulation, what kind of barrier, if any?

So, if we have the last senerio, does the code even address this concern?

Or is it a so-what, no harm no foul?

R314.1.2 Thermal barrier. Foam plastic, except where otherwise noted, shall be separated from the interior of a building by minimum 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board

Your answer is in the code section. The interior of the building (occupied space) is what needs to be seperated from the foam. Not the attic you describe

=

Isn't Fritz asking a Commercial code question, and not Residential?

=

Same in commercial - required to be separated from the interior of the building.

IMO, an unoccupied attic does not require protection of the insulation.

A plenum would.

= =

brudgers stated:

"Same in commercial - required to be separated from the interior of the building.IMO, an unoccupied attic does not require protection of the insulation.

A plenum would."
I agree, no separation required!....Also, from the OP Section 2603.4.1.6 [ `06 IBC ]Attics and crawl spaces.

Within an attic or crawl space where entry is made only for service of utilities, foam

plastic insulation shall be protected against ignition by 1.5-inch-thick (38 mm) mineral

fiber insulation; 0.25-inch-thick (6.4 mm) wood structural anel, particleboard or

hardboard; 0.375-inch (9.5 mm) gypsum wallboard, corrosion-resistant steel having

a base metal thickness of 0.016 inch (0.4 mm) or other approved material installed in

such a manner that the foam plastic insulation is not exposed..........The protective

covering shall be consistent with the requirements for the type of construction.

Since there are no utilities, IMO, then no separation is required!

=

Thanks, This is right on with my thinking.

Trouble is, we do things one way for so long, we forget how we got there.

Moral support is a good thing.

Fritz

Are there any wiring, plumbing vents, or exhuast fan ducts in the attic?

These would have to count as utilities.

If no sources of ignition (not concerned about ducts) and a thermal barrier already in place (ceiling of the lower floor maybe?) then I would not require an ignition barrier.

Having said that, I have seen the "source of ignition" be a workman's lantern. I may reverse myself here.

When doing a search for "utilities" in code code it is almost always follows the word "service". Plumbing vents, pipes and ducts along with electrical wiring rarely need service, but equipment and appliances do. It is an AHJ call as to what is an "utility" in an attic

It has been my experience that where there is attic access the homeowner will be climbing in and out all the time stuffing it full of treasures. There is usually a light fixture up there and I would require an ignition barrier.

jwilly3879 said:
It has been my experience that where there is attic access the homeowner will be climbing in and out all the time stuffing it full of treasures. There is usually a light fixture up there and I would require an ignition barrier.
In fact a light fixture is required. An ignition barrier only needs to be in the proximity of the source of ignition.

Since the revision of ICC-ES AC377 (2009 appendix X) some foam plastics do not need an ignition barrier under Special Approval. I'm seeing closed cell (medium density) is leading this front.

( ( ( (

"In fact a light fixture is required. An ignition barrier only needs to be in the proximity of the source of ignition."
Since the OP quoted a Commercial code section, I will assume that he is actually referringto a Commercial application.........Please cite the code section, or sections that require a

light in this [ Commercial ] attic area......Thanks!

) ) ) )

How did ICC-ES AC377 appendix X come about? Hmmm, plywood won't burn for 4 minutes plus so I guess that is the weakest link. No need to build any better than the weakest link. The sprinklers will put out the fire right. Suppression is better than prevention isn't it?

I look at it this way, a thermal or ignition barrier is always required. If I can walk around the space as a normal use of the area it needs a thermal barrier. If I'm there just to store, fix or check something and would rather be somewhere else then an ignition barrier is called for. All from section R314 2009 IRC

north star said:
( ( ( (Since the OP quoted a Commercial code section, I will assume that he is actually referring

to a Commercial application.........Please cite the code section, or sections that require a

light in this [ Commercial ] attic area......Thanks!

) ) ) )

[/quote

What about NEC 210.70(3)

= = =

Gregg H.,

Yep, that Article reference will do nicely!.....Thank you for the applicable code section!

FWIW, the Edit Button is available only for a short after your initial posting.....Please

discuss it with the Forum Administrator for further clarification!

= = =

I believe Yankee was heading in the right direction... the ceiling below the attic is the thermal barrier between the insulation and the interior of the building. Storage or equipment in there? Different answer...

I also disagree that a point of access will necessarily mean the owner will use the attic for storage. I've lived in my home for almost 13 years and have only opened the hatch 5 or 6 times total. Most of those due to a pesky roof leak and once to place a wasp/hornet bomb in there (so my contractor wouldn't get stung fixing my roof...).