• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

!!

KZQuixote

Sawhorse
Hold me back folks! I'm trying!

I recently did a leeds project as a subcontractor. I was to install the windows and exterior doors. I didn't get the sale of the product but was recommended by the manufacturer so I ended up with the awarded contract to do the installation.

First hurdle after signing the contract: I'm supposed to deliver all materials to the jobsite without any packaging. Some of these aluminum clad wood windows are 131" by 96". How am I to deliver without damage? I protested and was told no problem just document how you dispose of the packaging in an environmentally friendly manner.

The bid's done already, Right?

We corral all the packaging which includes wood shipping blocks, plastic shrink sheeting and plastic extrusions that are snapped onto the window frames to protect against handling damage. We weighed every bit of this trash and documented it!

Time comes to dispose of and document the process. I send a carpenter to the dump and guess what, they don't recycle plastic at our dump. I calls the chicklet in charge of the leeds effort and am told I was supposed to know that I was expected to haul 24 pounds of plastic to Portland, Oregon where they do accept pvc extrusions as recycable. That'd be three hours over the mountains ( one way ) for five bucks worth of trash. Yep We're saving the environment here!

Next comment:

All the finish materials in this building are bamboo! Let me tell you if bamboo is acceptable as a finish material, I've got a corner on the FOOLS market. Bamboo is dimensionally unstable to a degree that George Washington would have said Get the fikk outta here were you to fill my shoes two hundred years ago!

Actually, I didn't have the contract for the finish work but as I've cut my teeth doing finish work, I look at every joint I walk by, on my first walk through every thing looked fine. However two months later, every joint was 1.8"+ open. The flippin architect, rather than acknowledge that he'd specified the wrong material wrote a correction notice that required the subcontractor to eat the work. Can you say bankrupt subcontractor?

Oh well we're environmentally conscience right?!?

Bill

conarb said:
Let's get this straight, the architect specified bamboo for trim, like casing and base, and the joints had opened up almost 2 inches ?
Sorry! My poor typing skills. The key I meant to hit was one to the right of the period. The joints opened 1/8".

Bill