• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

27kW Instant Hot Water Heater Circuits

jar546

Forum Coordinator
There are different sizes of electric tankless water heaters, gaining popularity. Depending on the size, they do draw a lot of power. Some, like the popular 27kW water heater takes 3 separate 40A circuits. I came across one that was fed by a single FMC (Greenfield) which brings me to this code section:

210.7 Multiple Branch Circuits. Where two or more branch
circuits supply devices or equipment on the same yoke or
mounting strap, a means to simultaneously disconnect the
ungrounded supply conductors shall be provided at the point
at which the branch circuits originate.

Therefore, when a panel has 3 double pole 40A breakers in it to feed a single water heater through a single FMC, how do they comply with NEC 210.7 if the panel that feeds it is a sub-panel with no main disconnect. I believe that a main disconnect, although it turns the entire panel off, still meets the code requirement.

What say thee?

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 19.56.18.png