• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

2nd Floor Kids Dance Studio

benny

Bronze Member
I just caught rumor of a proposed second story kids dance studio going into an existing wood frame building down town. The irony is that it is next door to my office and my four year old daughter is a student. Help! I haven't used chapter 34 much. I remember denying a proposed second story class room for developmentally disabled kids a few years ago. I'll try to gather more information about the space (number of exits, etc). The class sizes are usually around 10 kids with parents watching. Any input is appreciated.

1 exit; approximately 6' wide stairway; serving an existing apartment and 900ish square foot kids dance studio. And to add some irony, the new owner is the new land lord for the company I work for. I may need to stay out of this one...

I am the building inspector for the City; contracted out by the engineering firm I work for.

benny said:
1 exit; approximately 6' wide stairway; serving an existing apartment and 900ish square foot kids dance studio. And to add some irony, the new owner is the new land lord for the company I work for. I may need to stay out of this one...
Lots of questions benny...need more answers. Type of Construction, Occupancies (Existing & Previous), Travel Distances, Exist. Bldg Code/Change of Occupancy, Structural Loading (Decrease/Increase), Existing MOE components (Lighting, Signage, Separations, Etc. Are Plumbing fixtures required/existing? Will increased occ load affect MOE?

B occupancy less

Exercise room OL 50sq ft per person is less than 29 travel distance needs to be less than 75 ft.

Might work

The building is masonry walls with wood joists and rafters imbeded into pockets in the brick. Previous occupancy was an apartment; there is currently one apartment still occupied upstairs and one downstairs. The dance studio is approximately 1200 sqft. They are proposing the addition of 2X6 walls to cover the brick with R19 insulation (some increase in dead load). The travel distance is approximately 100'. The only existing plumbing fixtures are in the existing upstairs apartment.

A dance studio floor loading is more in line with a classroom floor loading than a dance floor with an OL of 5 per sq ft.

It is obvious they have some hurdles to overcome and they should get a DP to look at Chapter 34 and use Section 3412 to see if it can be made to work. I think it can with the limited info provided and the small size but it may not be cost effective

brudgers said:
If it is a level 2 alteration, the dance studio will require sprinklers.
occupant load needs to be greater than 30 and:

the area would be required to be sprinklered for new con.

The work area needs to exceed 50% (what work is being done?)

The building needs sufficient water supply

All 4 need to be met for a sprinkler to be required.

It is not the BO's call as to what methods are used to meet compliance with the IEBC it is the applicants choice.

101.5 Compliance methods.

The repair, alteration, change of occupancy, addition or relocation of all existing buildings shall comply with one of the methods listed in Sections 101.5.1 through 101.5.3 as selected by the applicant.

101.5.1 Prescriptive compliance method.

Repairs, alterations, additions and changes of occupancy complying with Chapter 3 of this code in buildings complying with the International Fire Code shall be considered in compliance with the provisions of this code.

101.5.2 Work area compliance method.

Repairs , alterations , additions , changes in occupancy and relocated buildings complying with the applicable requirements of Chapters 4 through 12 of this code shall be considered in compliance with the provisions of this code.

101.5.3 Performance compliance method.

Repairs, alterations, additions, changes in occupancy and relocated buildings complying with Chapter 13 of this code shall be considered in compliance with the provisions of this code.

We have not specifically adopted the IEBC; so I've been using (learning to use) Chapter 34 of the IBC (2009). I'm seriously thinking about requiring a report from a LDP showing the projects meet the mandatory safety scores listed in Table 3412.8 for each of these remodels, changes of use, etc in our existing buildings. Most of our downtown buildings are old masonry (Type IIIB) buildings.

gbhammer said:
occupant load needs to be greater than 30 and: the area would be required to be sprinklered for new con. The work area needs to exceed 50% (what work is being done?) The building needs sufficient water supply All 4 need to be met for a sprinkler to be required.
Multiple tenants negate the requirement for 30 occupants.

brudgers said:
Multiple tenants negate the requirement for 30 occupants.
Could you please draw us a line through the code sections that would lead you to believe that this is a level 2 alteration oh and the multiple tenant negation thing.

We have not specifically adopted the IEBC; so I've been using (learning to use) Chapter 34 of the IBC (2009).
Well the OP does not use the IEBC so lets see what advise he might need from Chapter 34.

Benny if the applicant wants to use the IEBC even though it is not adopted by the AHJ the IBC allows it by reference. The only reason to use the IEBC is the Work Area Compliance Method Chapters 4 thru 12 otherwise it is the same as the IBC Chapter 34

3401.5 Alternative compliance.

Work performed in accordance with the International Existing Building Code shall be deemed to comply with the provisions of this chapter.

3408.1 Conformance.

No change shall be made in the use or occupancy of any building that would place the building in a different division of the same group of occupancies or in a different group of occupancies, unless such building is made to comply with the requirements of this code for such division or group of occupancies. Subject to the approval of the building official , the use or occupancy of existing buildings shall be permitted to be changed and the building is allowed to be occupied for purposes in other groups without conforming to all the requirements of this code for those groups, provided the new or proposed use is less hazardous, based on life and fire risk, than the existing use.

They are going from a dwelling unit to a "B" occupancy. Usually that may be less hazardous for life and fire risk and using 3412 to document the risks is a good way to make that determination. I believe you are on the right path to require the LDP to do the assessment