• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3/4" Tongue and groove pine as a thermal barrier over spray foam

jwilly3879

Sawhorse
Is anyone allowing 3/4" tongue and groove pine boards to be used as the required 15 minute thermal barrier over spray foam insulation?

The reason for the question is I am seeing more spray foam insulation and the SPF contractors seem reluctant to tell the contractor/homeowner about the requirement for a thermal barrier or ignition barrier. I am located in Climate Zone 6 in NY and when open cell SPF is used a Class I or II vapor retarder is required in addition the the thermal barrier.

When doing the insulation inspection I generally ask what will be used for the thermal barrier, 1/2" sheetrock or an intumescent paint product and the usual response is "what are you talking about?"

I have heard that NYSDOS is working on a table of 15 minute thermal barrier equivalents based on Chapter 7 of the Building Code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just from memory (which isn't all that great ) As long as it meets the flame spread and smoke density requirements. It is acceptable.

I've put up miles of it in ceilings over foam, R316.5.2