• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

30x48 floor space at appliance

Yikes

Gold Member
I've been looking through ADAS / CBC 11B-804.6.1 through 6 for the clear floor or ground space position relative to the appliance it serves.
I always assumed that a 30x48" parallel approach had to be centered on the centerline of a dishwasher or range/cooktop, but I can't find that in the code. Can it be offset, as in the (doctored) image below?

1683680967211.png

I assume you are using the 2022 CBC.

There is nothing that requires the clear floor space to be centered on the appliance in this CBC section, which replicates the 2010 ADAS. However, ANSI A117.1 requires the clear floor space to be centered on the appliance.

If it is a range with an oven, look at Section 11B-804.6.5. The location of the clear floor space depends on how the oven door opens.

For the cooktop, in the absence of a more specific direction, you can default to the ANSI standard or place it where the controls and burners can be reached. If the controls and furthest burner are within the reach requirements for the parallel approach you have shown, then I do not see a problem. However, that burner in the far corner may not be reachable in the configuration you show.

Ron is correct, again....
there is nothing that requires it to be centered

2022 CBC 1133A.2 Clear Floor Space​
Clear floor space at kitchens shall comply with the following:​
A clear floor space at least 30 inches by 48 inches that allows a parallel approach by a person in a wheelchair shall be provided at the range or cooktop.​
A clear floor space at least 30 inches by 48 inches that allows either a parallel or forward approach shall be provided at the kitchen sink and all other fixtures or appliances including the oven, dishwasher, refrigerator/freezer and trash compactor.​
A clear floor space at least 30 inches by 48 inches that allows either a parallel or a forward approach shall be provided at the work surface required by Section 1133A.4.​
The centerline of the 30-inch by 48-inch clear floor space provided for parallel or forward approach shall be aligned with the centerline of the work surface, appliance or fixture.​

Yes, it’s in CNC 11A and in FHADM.
But if (for example) I’m doing a publicly funded housing duplex, then neither of those would apply (<3 units), and I could make an ADA compliant kitchen without centering the clear floor space. It just seems odd.