• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

32" wide doors

Remington

I've heard it said that in Los Angeles Ca, all doors need to be 32" wide. However, is this a miss read of the code? Aren't the 32" wide doors required only for reason of egress like exterior doors? Or is it required also for things like bathrooms and bedrooms?

I would think walk-in closet could get a 24" wide door. No? Maybe even for a powder room too. No?

I left out a few key information. I am looking into requirements for single family homes. It looks like the 32" wide door requirement is only for multifamily homes.

R311.2 Egress door. Not less than one egress door shall be provided for each dwelling unit. The egress door shall be side-hinged, and shall provide a clear width of not less than 32 inches where measured between the face of the door and the stop, with the door open 90 degrees. The clear height of the door opening shall be not less than 78 inches in height measured from the top of the threshold to the bottom of the stop. Other doors shall not be required to comply with these minimum dimensions. Egress doors shall be readily openable from inside the dwelling without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.

Los Angeles amends the CRC to require 32-inch interior doors. See attached image from the I-codes website.

Attachments

• IMG_0563.jpeg
    IMG_0563.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 19
Isn't that really a minimum 34" door, to have the 32" clear?
The 34” minimum door has precedent in A117.1 and Fair Housing, so I could see that being the intent. It would be a little surprising that they didn’t specify clear width after having described the egress door as 3 feet in width.

The 34” minimum door has precedent in A117.1 and Fair Housing, so I could see that being the intent. It would be a little surprising that they didn’t specify clear width after having described the egress door as 3 feet in width.
Yes, inconsistent in requiring a 36" door - nominal I'd guess - in one place and a 32" clear in another. Kind of why I got involved in code development; couldn't stand the inconsistency and lack of clarity in many places.

I assume this CA requirement is for an EMT ambulance stretcher clearance?
It actually allows a door that is narrower via amendment not wider. This would reduce accessibility for those conditions as well as reducing accessibility for those in wheelchairs etc.