• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3411.4 Change of Occupancy

Mech

2009 IBC

3411.4 Change of occupancy. Existing buildings that undergo a change of group or occupancy shall comply with this section.

What does change of group mean in this context? Is it changing from one classification to another, i.e. Assembly to Business? Is it changing sub-classifications i.e. A-1 to A-2? Does it mean something else?

I assume it means changing classifications (A to M) and includes changing sub-classifications (A-1 to A-2).

What does change of occupancy mean in this context? Is it Occupancy Classification, which is what I listed above, i.e. the words group and occupancy are use interchangeably and mean the same thing? Does it mean change of tenant or ownership i.e. Tom's Pizza Shop closes and sells the store to Pete, who it turn opens Pete's Pizza Shop? Does this mean the change of use inside the same use classification, i.e. an accountant's office is renovated into a barber shop, which are both examples of business occupancies?

I assume this means changing the use inside the same classification as in the accountant office to barber shop conversion.

Thanks.

Commentary is online for 09

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009f2cc/icod_ibc_2009f2cc_34_sec001.htm

301.1 Scope. The provisions of this chapter shall control the classification of all buildings and structures as to use and occupancy.

As used throughout the code, the classification of an occupancy into a group is established by the requirements of this chapter. The purpose of these provisions is to provide rational criteria for the classification of various occupancies into groups based on their relative fire hazard and life safety properties. This is necessary because the code utilizes group classification as a fundamental principle for differentiating requirements in other parts of the code related to fire and life safety protection.

I have heard lately change to higher hazard

A change of name or ownership is not a change of occupancy

A B to A is. B to M is

But, remember you can still be sued if the business is not accessible.

There is no such thing as grandfathering.

B to B...No.....A1 to A2 Yes....B to B you just go with the alterations 3409.6 (20%) in my code, but I know it has changed for most of the world. And what Mark said, you should let them know that if they do not get to 100% they are still on the Hook for ADA

The small changes of use give me a little heartache as I (the code is) am making people install 2 drinking fountains and sometimes 2 accessible bathrooms where there were previously none....It's alot of money for a small business

Last edited by a moderator:
Steveray, if no RR previously then why 2 vs a unisex? Is it a bar which requires seperate men's and women or for employees, or? ADA seeks to minimize square foot losses in retail establishments.

ADAguy said:
ADA seeks to minimize square foot losses in retail establishments.
1010.1 Increased demand.

Where the occupancy of an existing building or part of an existing building is changed such that the new occupancy is subject to increased or different plumbing fixture requirements or to increased water supply requirements in accordance with the International Plumbing Code, the new occupancy shall comply with the intent of the respective International Plumbing Code provisions.

The IEBC does not take into consideration the sq ft losses in any establishment.

ADAg...MT got it.....I believe this has gotten a little friendlier (as far as being able to use unisex or family units) in the newer codes in low occupant loads which I do agree with

From 2012 IBC 2902.......most of this is easier than what I have to enforce now....

f. Drinking fountains are not required for an occupant load of 15 or fewer.

g. For business and mercantile occupancies with an occupant load of 15 or fewer, service sinks shall not be required.

[P] 2902.1.1 Fixture calculations.

To determine the occupant load of each sex, the total occupant load shall be divided in half. To determine the required number of fixtures, the fixture ratio or ratios for each fixture type shall be applied to the occupant load of each sex in accordance with Table 2902.1. Fractional numbers resulting from applying the fixture ratios of Table 2902.1 shall be rounded up to the next whole number. For calculations involving multiple occupancies, such fractional numbers for each occupancy shall first be summed and then rounded up to the next whole number.

Exception: The total occupant load shall not be required to be divided in half where approved statistical data indicate a distribution of the sexes of other than 50 percent of each sex.

[P] 2902.1.2 Family or assisted-use toilet and bath fixtures.

Fixtures located within family or assisted-use toilet and bathing rooms required by Section 1109.2.1 are permitted to be included in the number of required fixtures for either the male or female occupants in assembly and mercantile occupancies.

[P] 2902.2 Separate facilities.

Where plumbing fixtures are required, separate facilities shall be provided for each sex.

Exceptions:

1. Separate facilities shall not be required for dwelling units and sleeping units.

2. Separate facilities shall not be required in structures or tenant spaces with a total occupant load, including both employees and customers, of 15 or less.

3. Separate facilities shall not be required in mercantile occupancies in which the maximum occupant load is 100 or less.

[P] 2902.2.1 Family or assisted-use toilet facilities serving as separate facilities.

Where a building or tenant space requires a separate toilet facility for each sex and each toilet facility is required to have only one water closet, two family/assisted-use toilet facilities shall be permitted to serve as the required separate facilities. Family or assisted-use toilet facilities shall not be required to be identified for exclusive use by either sex as required by Section 2902.4.

Thankfully the state provided us with an option for "B" & "M" occupancies.

i. At the discretion of the building official, certain non-assembly buildings where food and beverages are not consumed on the premises, may be allowed to furnish only one public toilet provided it is designed for male and female use and it is suitable for use by handicapped persons.