• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3D modeling software

Inspector 102

Silver Member
Does anyone know of an economical user freindly software to model in 3D. I am thinking about creating a couple scenerios for the community I work for and looking for comments. Thank you

Re: 3D modeling software

Love Google's SketchUp.

I use it for exactly what you are proposing.

PM me if you want to see some samples.

mj

BIM is a designer tool, not an AHJ tool.

There's a lot of modeling out there (including energy).. what kind of modeling are you looking for?

Sketchup if you don't have to be real accurate (it's not that you can't be accurate with it, but it takes a lot of seat time to learn).

BIM is terrific for the trade coordination plans.. (like you can see where duct work interfers with your sprinkler lines, etc). I don't that know a building department would ever need the coordination plans (not really even for inspections)...

The Google SketchUp program has a limited number of visits / uses to it, before

someone would then have to purchase the full program.

Is there a user friendly, free or very low cost drawing program out there, ...maybe

at Best Buy or some other software wholesaler / distributor. The program doesn' t

have to have all the "bells and whistles", ...just something that I could do some very

basic 3-D drawings / plans to show people some basic concepts of construction?

Years ago, I remember some homeowners and potential homeowners could go to a

local software store and purchase a very rudimentary program that would perform

the basic 3-D drawings, ...something that would [ somewhat ] transmit their ideas

to a ' house plans designer ' for them to draw up. :?:

Last edited by a moderator:

I wasn't aware of a limit to the number of visits / uses with the free version of Google Sketchup - I've used it extensively for the past year with no such issues. If that's something new, I wonder if you could find an older version to download that isn't so limited?

Code Neophyte,

I will go back and re-look at the SketchUp program once again to verify.

Seems like that twas the message I read on their site the last time I

visited. Hmmmmm.... :?:

Last edited by a moderator:
with any modeling software, you are eventually going to have to buy a license for it..

Building departments dont' need it.... unless they accept only digital plans.. and then, you have to submit in the format they can accept