• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

3D Printed Houses

Apparently not us in Canada. We're not even allowed to see the video..."The uploader has not made this video available in your country" LOL.

Apparently not us in Canada. We're not even allowed to see the video..."The uploader has not made this video available in your country" LOL.

The Swiss company, Proton, offers a free VPN that allows you to appear to be in a different location. The free version allows you to appear to be on-line from the U.S., Japan, or The Netherlands.

Not in our area, 60 minutes is banned in my area, can't watch that program, causes BP to rise and uncontrollable speech patterns not allowed by the boss!

What I have seen regarding 3D printed buildings has not been impressive. There is not much in the way of actual strength built in... as in steel reinforcement. Each video that I have seen had me wondering how the subsequent layers were attached to former layer.... what holds it together? The size of the structure is such that it takes a while to make a circuit and even if the previous layer was still soft, there's just nothing forming a bond between the layers other than gravity.

I am not sure about the material cost but the machinery and the labor to set up and operate it are substantial. There might be a logical application that involves smaller equipment and backyard sheds.

Last edited:
They will all need to be engineered.

3-D PRINTED BUILDINGS UTILIZING HEMP: This alternative method has been approved in Montana as an alternate means of compliance for all types of construction. It is allowed anywhere CMU block (cinder block) construction is utilized.

Gotta give credit to the dreamers! Maybe someday, but they may have to reconcile with the energy folks first.