• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

42" High Counter

Phil B

SAWHORSE
I don't believe a 42" high stand-up counter compiles with accessibility requirements unless it has a section at 36", or it is entirely at 36" for parallel approach. Am I right or wrong?

I don't believe a 42" high stand-up counter compiles with accessibility requirements unless it has a section at 36", or it is entirely at 36" for parallel approach. Am I right or wrong?
Florida follows the 2010 ADA Standards
904.4 Sales and Service Counters
Sales counters and service counters shall comply with 904.4.1 or 904.4.2. The accessible portion of the counter top shall extend the same depth as the sales or service counter top.

904.4.1 Parallel Approach
A portion of the counter surface that is 36 inches (915 mm) long minimum and 36 inches high maximum above the finish floor shall be provided. A clear floor or ground space complying with 305 shall be positioned for a parallel approach adjacent to the 36 inch minimum length of counter.

904.4.2 Forward Approach
A portion of the counter surface that is 30 inches long minimum and 36 inches high maximum shall be provided. Knee and toe space complying with 306 shall be provided under the counter. A clear floor or ground space complying with 305 shall be positioned for a forward approach to the counter.

You didn't say how the counter is to be used, or what jurisdiction / code is in effect. Your location is Florida, but is that the project location?

If it is a sales or service counter, see mark's post above. If it is for storage (or something other than sales, service, worksurface, dining surface, kitchen sink counter, etc.), then there may be scenarios were a max 48" is an acceptable high side-reach (2010 ADAS 308.3.1)

All of the United States must follow the ADA Standard as a minimum.
Yes and no. This discussion has happened many times on here, so I will keep it breif.

ADA is federal law, so yes, all projects must comply with ADA. From an AHJ perspective, the adopted code must be the basis for permit review. Many states do not adopt the ADA as the basis of accessible design, instead relying upon IBC Ch. 11 and the A117.1 standard. Where the AHJ reviews under IBC Ch. 11 and A117.1, it is the design professionals responsibility to design for and the owners responsibility to comply with ADA. That said, IBC Ch. 11 and A117.1 are identified as safe harbor documents for design conformance with ADA, FHA, etc.

34-inch high comes to mind.
Length of counter minimum 36-inches. Usually filled up with a cash register and retail items.

Well
#1, this was posted under the Commercial Codes section of the website
#2, Even if this were a Residential project, the common space, recreation areas and office portions of the project are under the ADA (based on this project being in Florida). Florida follows the 2010 ADA Standards

Yes and no. This discussion has happened many times on here, so I will keep it breif.

ADA is federal law, so yes, all projects must comply with ADA. From an AHJ perspective, the adopted code must be the basis for permit review. Many states do not adopt the ADA as the basis of accessible design, instead relying upon IBC Ch. 11 and the A117.1 standard. Where the AHJ reviews under IBC Ch. 11 and A117.1, it is the design professionals responsibility to design for and the owners responsibility to comply with ADA. That said, IBC Ch. 11 and A117.1 are identified as safe harbor documents for design conformance with ADA, FHA, etc.
FYI, Not all of the U.S. has to comply with ADA. Churches (a.k.a Religious entities) and private clubs are exempt from ADA [ §36.102 (e)]. Basically, you can't sue these places for breaking a federal law since they are not governed by federal law for accessibility.

FYI, Not all of the U.S. has to comply with ADA. Churches (a.k.a Religious entities) and private clubs are exempt from ADA [ §36.102 (e)]. Basically, you can't sue these places for breaking a federal law since they are not governed by federal law for accessibility.
Correct. My intent is that just like the codes, you must comply unless you meet an exception within. Meeting an exception is still complying.

Without the OP first telling us what the counter is used for (dining? sales? worksurface? storage? religious use? etc.?), and without knowing if there are other obstructions in front of the counter, and without knowing which regulation is applicable to this project, there is no way of definitively stating whether the 42" high counter complies or not. I could give plenty of hypothetical examples for both compliance and non-compliance, all contingent upon getting answers to those questions of use, surroundings and applicable code.