• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

$50,000 building code violation in Canada?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
An investigation into the demolition of Mount Wolfe Road buildings located on the site of the Tottenham pit has resulted in charges against a numbered company associated with G + L Group, which also operates under the aggregate license, Brock Aggregates Inc.

READ Fuel spill at Tottenham Pit worries residents

As a result of an investigation, charges were laid against 693316 Ontario Ltd. and an individual for a violation under section eight of the Building Code Act, according to Leo Butko, Manager of Regulatory Services for the Town of Caledon.

The violation occurred on Oct. 4 last year at 17027 Mount Wolfe Road in Caledon where Butko said the charge was laid for demolishing a building, or causing a building to be demolished without a permit.

A building code violation could carry a fine of $50,000 against an individual for a first offence, and $100,000 for a corporation for its first offence, according to Butko.

The individual and corporation are scheduled to appear in Caledon court on April 30 at 9 a.m.

All the provinces have different Building Code Acts, but here in New Brunswick the new Building Code Act allows me to levy a fine of 1000$ per day that a violation exists (currently 140$ from our Town's building By-Law).

tmurray said:
All the provinces have different Building Code Acts, but here in New Brunswick the new Building Code Act allows me to levy a fine of 1000$ per day that a violation exists (currently 140$ from our Town's building By-Law).
$1,000 a day sounds more mainstream.

jar546 said:
$1,000 a day sounds more mainstream.
Who among us has successfully done such a thing? We have a fine of $25,000 for polluting waterways/storm drains. Every new day is a new offense. I doubt that it has ever been levied. Hell, I can't even make a re-inspection fee stick and that's a measly $100.