• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

50 Most Common NEC Violations

rnapier

Silver Member
I was unable to locate a powerpoint presentation I found on internet on this topic so I have decided to create my own. I am asking all you inspectors, contractors, engineeers or anyone else with an opinion what are the 50 Most Common NEC Violations? These could be plan review or in the field violations. If you have any pictures showing an example even better. Thanks for your help.

Fifty is a big number.

Good luck with it.

ARC fault breakers are missed a lot.

Bond every end of the armor that protects the GEC.

DSCN3379.jpg

Install a bonding fitting where conduit enters through intact KOs at service equipment.

DSCN0515-1.jpg

Apply ampacity deration factor for more than three conductors in a raceway.

The conduit is too full but that's not all that common as violations go.

DSCN2286.jpg

Install a structural strap at over-bored top plates.

Seal the top plates with approved material.

DSCN2953.jpg

Install nail plates if the edge of the hole is closer than 1.25" from the face of the framing or the NMC is stapled closer than 1.25" from the face of framing.

Staple NMC flat side down.

DSCN2839.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
not using an irreversible connections on a gec if a splice is necessary, unprotected gec's from panel to earth connection, no gec in foundation when called for steel pre pour inspection, romex unprotected or to close to attic access scuttle holes, romex nailed down the stud closer than 1-1/4 inches from face of stud, improper citrcuit breaker sizing on furnace or ac compressor (usually too large), wrong kind of disconnect for attic installed gas fired furnace with motor over 1/8 hp, no gfci in basement, improper spacing of counter top receptacle outlets, outlets in wood framed structures (kithcens) that don't extend out to the face of the tile (lots of tradespeople don't realize that a tiled wall (in a wood framed house) is not the same as "non combustible construction" per the NEC requierements). box fill, too much wire in a gutter , not ensureing a good contact with lugs (scrape the paint off the boxes and cans per the code, grounding locknuts ( why don't folks understand or learn the difference between a grounding locknut and a heavy duty lock nut, huge difference) improper fan boxes, no ground screws in metal boxes, improperly identified grounded conductors, too many bends in a single run of pipe with no pull points, improper wire bending space in panels, improperly sta

rapped or unsupported conduit, installing pvc conduit if a footing section, poor workmanship in general, improper use of materials where not allowed by code

+.........................+

Wrong type & size of bonding components on to natural gas piping, ...poor

/ sloppy workmanship, ...wrong type & size of connectors on to CSST piping,

...improper connections on Temp. electrical power poles, ...incorrect spacing

of wall & countertop electrical receptacles, ...too many conductors through

a single pentration in the top plates [ "derating of the conductors",

...what's that? ], ...wrong type & size of conductors installed underground,

...wrong type of conductors installed in the sunlight, and on and on and on.

+.........................+

my pet peeves aren't necessarily NEC violations though (I will ask the guys in the office for their favorite violations):

1) using inside of panel as a trash can.

2) stripping screws on panel.

3) lights on a circuit following gfci protected outlet. trip the outlet, lights go out too.

4) bar counters with everything but a stove top and only one gfci outlet.

as cynical as it may sound, it's comforting to know we're not the only ones dealing with the simplest issues, stuff one should have mastered and become "second nature by the end of year 2 in electrical apprenticeship

1)Not using the correct light fixture or lens over a tub or shower and not being installed the correct distance away.

2)Outlets not in the correct locations along a kitchen counter.

3)Open breaker spaces inside a panel.

4)No secondary grounding on a service.

5)Different gauge wires on the same lug.

6)Water heater wiring not in conduit and no disconnect.

pc1

For light commercial:

1) Replace existing NM cable above ACT ceilings with MC.

2) Data/Com. subs never removing Un-used low voltage cable and working without permit.

3) Never have enough exit and egress lights, always have to add many more than what's ever show on the approved plans.

4) Too many watts of lighting per the ECC and generally section 505. Tenant say's "it's too dark", contractors says "for another $100 per fixture you can have the very cool t-5 fixtures and replacement lamps are only $12.00 each"

5) Exterior egress lighting circuiting in existing strip centers. NEC 700.12-16. Easy to do in a new center but not so easy in existing centers.

6) Electrician not on site to meet the inspector.

Wrong clamp used outside for csst bonding, not installing receptacle behind kitchen sink if in a corner with > 18" of countertop, smoke detector location/clearances, nail plates, nail plates, nail plates, panel clearance (main and a/c disconnects), sheathing on wire stripped where pulled across sharp edge of metal truss connection plate, nail plates, nail plates, loose receptacle, combination afci, not all brades under lug (followed by) cut braids because the lug wasn't big enough (followed by) altered panel by breaking large lug off of one side and attempting to install on other side thus voiding listing of box, (followed by) no more inspections until reinspection fee is paid. Interesting topic.

Did anybody mention labeling the breakers? That way we can see at a glance what was done wrong or done right.

DSCN2285.jpg

20 amp circuits with #14 wire on switchlegs. bathroom circuits that have other outlets on them. washing machine circuits with other outlets.

The state doing electrical inspections and not knowing a thing about seismic requirements

ASCE 7

13.6 MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS

13.6.1 General. Mechanical and electrical components and their supports shall satisfy the requirements of this section. The attach­ment of mechanical and electrical components and their supports to the structure shall meet the requirements of Section 13.4. Ap­propriate coefficients shall be selected from Table 13.6-1.EXCEPTIONS: Light fixtures, lighted signs, and ceiling fans not con­nected to ducts or piping, which are supported bye chains or otherwise suspended from the structure, are not required to satisfy the seismic force and relative displacement requirements provided 4hey meet all of the following criteria:1. The design load for such items shall be equal to' 1.4 times the operat­ing weight acting down with a simultaneous horizontal load equal to 1.4 times the operating weight. The horizontal load shall be applied in the direction that results in the most critical loading for design.2. Seismic interaction effects shall be considered in accordance with Section 13.2.3.

3. The connection to the structure shall allow a 360° range of motion in the horizontal plane.

Where design of mechanical and electrical components for seis­mic effects is required, consideration shall be given to the dynamic effects of the components, their contents, and where appropriate, their supports. In such cases, the interaction between the compo­nents and the supporting structures, including other mechanical and electrical components, shall also be considered

pwood said:
20 amp circuits with #14 wire on switchlegs. bathroom circuits that have other outlets on them. washing machine circuits with other outlets.
Greetings all,

I still here folks say that it's legal from time to time. (#14 switch legs on a 20 amp ckt) Heard it the other day as a matter of fact just in passing conversation. I've had to all it out a couple of times but it's a rare thing.

The one thing that I see day to day is that panels have holes in the panel or in the dead front cover not properly covered. Bear in mind I do a lot of occupancy type inspections so I look at a lot of existing stuff.

BS

globe trekker said:
GCtony,Please list the applicable NEC article for # 2.

Thanks!
Sorry, I don't know if a code article exists. However we get quite a few failed electrical inspections because an inspector understandably wants unused low voltage crap out of the ceilings (sometimes plenum). Since most low voltage installers (that usually are working for someone else) don't pull permits, the inspector holds our electrician "hostage". When an low voltage installer works for me, we have in his contract that he pull a permit regradless if it's required or not.

800.25 Abandoned Cables. The accessible portion of abandoned communications cables shall be removed. Where cables are identified for future use with a tag, the tag shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.

This section requires the removal of abandoned communications cable that is accessible. See Article 100 for the definition of accessible. This requirement covers the portions of cable installations that are not permanently closed in by the building structure or finish or are capable of being removed without damaging the building structure or finish. Abandoned cable increases fire loading unnecessarily, and, where installed in plenums, can affect airflow. Similar requirements can be found in Articles 640, 645, 725, 760, 770, 820, 830, and 840. (See the definition of abandoned communications cable in 800.2.)

Francis

Greetings

Pcinspector1 said:
1)6)Water heater wiring not in conduit and no disconnect.

pc1
Where is it required for a water heater to have a disconnect? I apply 2011 NEC 422.31(B)

BS

BSSTG said:
GreetingsWhere is it required for a water heater to have a disconnect? I apply 2011 NEC 422.31(B)

BS
So do you verify that the panel has breaker lock provisions installed in the deadfront of the panelboard?

Chris