• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
I have been asked to VE a lighting control system for a bar/restaurant I have already slabbed. This is not an unusual request other than the fact that this building is only 3120ft². IMO automatic shut-off is not required. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

2009IECC - 505.2.2.2 Automatic lighting shutoff. Buildings larger than 5,000 square feet (465 m2) shall be equipped with an automatic control device to shut off lighting in those areas.

Chris,

I had a very minor 2000 sq ft tenant space remodel that the county made us install auto-shutoffs because the shopping center was over 5000 sq ft. 505.2.2 is the perfect example of people thinking others aren't smart enough to turn off the lights.

Chris tactfully asks the AHJ to shine the light on for the requirement that's less than 5k sf.

GCtony said:
Chris,I had a very minor 2000 sq ft tenant space remodel that the county made us install auto-shutoffs because the shopping center was over 5000 sq ft. 505.2.2 is the perfect example of people thinking others aren't smart enough to turn off the lights.
Is your administrative section in the IECC same or similar to this requirement?

101.4.3 Additions, alterations, renovations or repairs. Additions, alterations, renovations or repairs to an existing building, building system or portion thereof shall conform to the provisions of this code as they relate to new construction without requiring the unaltered portion(s) of the existing building or building system to comply with this code. Additions, alterations, renovations or repairs shall not create an unsafe or hazardous condition or overload existing building systems. An addition shall be deemed to comply with this code if the addition alone complies or if the existing building and addition comply with this code as a single building.

Exception: The following need not comply provided the energy use of the building is not increased:

1. Storm windows installed over existing fenestration.

2. Glass only replacements in an existing sash and frame.

3. Existing ceiling, wall or floor cavities exposed during construction provided that these cavities are filled with insulation.

4. Construction where the existing roof, wall or floor cavity is not exposed.

5. Reroofing for roofs where neither the sheathing nor the insulation is exposed. Roofs without insulation in the cavity and where the sheathing or insulation is exposed during reroofing shall be insulated either above or below the sheathing.

6. Replacement of existing doors that separate conditioned space from the exterior shall not require the installation of a vestibule or revolving door, provided, however, that an existing vestibule that separates a conditioned space from the exterior shall not be removed,

7. Alterations that replace less than 50 percent of the luminaires in a space, provided that such alterations do not increase the installed interior lighting power.

8. Alterations that replace only the bulb and ballast within the existing luminaires in a space provided that the alteration does not increase the installed interior lighting power.

Virginia USBC. 103.4 Additions. Additions to buildings and structures shall comply with the requirements of this code for new construction and an existing building or structure plus additions shall comply with the height and area provisions of Chapter 5. Further, this code shall not require changes to the design or construction of any portions of the building or structure not altered or affected by an addition, unless the addition has the effect of lowering the current level of safety.

Francis

chris kennedy said:
Doesn't this get a bit complicated when you look at the def of 'Building'?
BUILDING. Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy. For each purpose of this Code each portion of a building separated from other portions by a firewall shall be considered as a separate building. The term "building” shall be construed as if followed by the words "or part thereof.”

In what way?

Francis

Thanks for the info Francis. So reading section 101.4.3 it sounds like the AHJ had the owner pay from something that isn't required. Check my math:

1) Older shopping center is sprinkled and to my knowlwdge not seperated by firewalls into 5000 sq ft "buildings" So the 10 tenant spaces are all under one roof of the building. (even though each 2000 sq ft tenant space has it's own electrical service)

2) We decreased the number of existing light fixtures and the ones we left in place were retrofited with t8 lamps and electronic ballasts significantly decreasing the lighting load.

3) The only added load was a few flourecent fixtures in a display case. It's my understanding this is what triggered the AHJ to require 505.2.2.2.