• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

510.4 parking beneath Group R

Chrisjoneill

location, CT code 2015 IBC.

am i correct that my 1 story above grade plane garage in type 1B construction requires a 2 hour rated floor construction above based on table 601 to comply with this language in the noted section "the floor assembly between the parking garage and the group r above shall comply with the type of construction required for the parking garage"

Yes. Attached is the illustration from the 2015 IBC commentary. The example in the illustration is Type IA, but you can see the note on the right side that says the 2-hour rating is as required for the parking garage per Table 601, and of course the separation requirement between groups R and S-2.

Attachments

• 2015 IBC Commentray Figure 510.4.png
    2015 IBC Commentray Figure 510.4.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 13
510.4 Parking beneath Group R. Where a maximum one
story above grade plane Group S-2 parking garage, enclosed
or open, or combination thereof, of Type I construction or
open of Type IV construction, with grade entrance, is provided
under a building of Group R, the number of stories to
be used in determining the minimum type of construction
shall be measured from the floor above such a parking area.
The floor assembly between the parking garage and the
Group R above shall comply with the type of construction
required for the parking garage and shall also provide a fireresistance
rating not less than the mixed occupancy separation
required in Section 508.4.

Unless it is open and you can build it of Type IV......I think this is poorly written but sure, 2HR....

That figure you posted is confusing. You still need a 3hr separation per 510.2 if you want to start counting stories above the Type I garage.