• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

55 gallon container?

Gene Boecker

Gold Member
Has anyone had any experience with the application of the 55 gallon limitation (found throughout the code)?

A 55 gallon drum is called that because that is the amount of liquid that is dispensed into the container and distributed as such. However, the liquid capacity is actually such that an additional gallon or two could be put into it.

Is the "55 gallon" threshold being enforced as the size of the container or the liquid capacity?

My gut tells me that filling a 55 gallon drum to more than 55 gallons is acceptable because it's like calling a stud a 2x4. Neither is accurate as a measure but the term identifies the item. Still, I'd like to hear any comments on this.

I guess you could measure the actual amount that was put into it, but I would simply ensure that it was a 55 gallon container. I really don't think that a gallon or so over makes that much difference. A 55 galllon drum has been a standard industry drum for as long as I remember and that's why it's reference so much.

For some reason I was thinking that a 55 gallon container only held something like 45....47 gallons.....

What's the dimensions and we'll throw some geometry (or is it algebra????) on it!

According to the manufacturer of the particular drum, the capacity is actually a bit more - not less.

OK, I'll let you do the math:

Exterior Dimensions in Inches

L: 23 1/8 Inch Outside Diameter

H: 34 1/2 Inch Outside Height

From Wikipedia:

A 55-gallon drum (known as a 44-gallon drum in the United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland, South Africa and increasingly in Australia as a 200-litre drum) is a cylindrical container drum with a nominal capacity of 55 US gallons (46 imp gal; 208 L). The exact capacity varies with wall thickness and other factors. Standard drums are 22.5 inches (572 mm) in diameter and 33.5 inches (851 mm) high (these dimensions yield a total volume of ~218 L). Exact dimensions are specified in ANSI MH2.

(Anyone got a copy of that ASNI standard?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, but when I cut one in half I can cook a lot of hambugers, steaks, and fajitas ont them. Not sure of the capcity.

I will go with 55 gallons with a little room dro expansion

It would appear from the text (if it can be trusted) that the capacity is 10 L more than 55 galons (2.64172051 US gallons).

cda,

but what's the capacity in burgers????

:D

Great!

Now all I need to do is convince the fire official that the extra 2.4 gallons will be taken up by burgers and we're all set!

Gene Boecker said:
OK, I'll let you do the math:

Exterior Dimensions in Inches

L: 23 1/8 Inch Outside Diameter

H: 34 1/2 Inch Outside Height
I didn't say "I" would do the math! I said "we'll" do the math! :eek: :D

Thank good for the internet... looks like you've already figured it out!! Besides..everybody knows

Pie R Round! Cornbread R Square! ;-)

Same thing with gas cans the gallon capacity is below the fill point. This allows for expansion without the product seeping out of or damaging the container. It is easier to compress air than liquid.