• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

9.27 Cladding

Plumb-bob

I have a multi-unit residential under the BCBC, Pt9.

We are not in a wet zone so rain screen not required.

Do you think the cladding and flashing detail shown is code compliant?

I would personally do it differently, but I believe it may meet strict code requirements as holes in the first plane of protection are minimal, and any penetrating moisture is directed to the second plane of protection.

Thoughts?

1705941884169.png

Attachments

• IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
The A440.4 installation standard requires drip cap flashing anywhere where there is a secondary plane of protection, or where there is a concealed barrier. In this instance, we have a concealed water control barrier (the building paper), so drip cap flashing is required.

Probably one of the poorer installations I have seen. They've all but guaranteed water will run into the window opening.

Probably one of the poorer installations I have seen. They've all but guaranteed water will run into the window opening.
It must look strange as well as collecting debris at the top. The window appears to be designed for a particular cladding and the siding as shown is not it. Another concern is that the flashing, flange and tyvek should be shingle fashion... this is the opposite of that.

It must look strange as well as collecting debris at the top. The window appears to be designed for a particular cladding and the siding as shown is not it. Another concern is that the flashing, flange and tyvek should be shingle fashion... this is the opposite of that.
Yes. The rarely seen "funnel" water management system.

My bad. I posted photos of 2 different windows. One has the drip cap, end dams etc. The other is directly under a roof. Bad posting

Back in the 90's we saw a wood-framed dormitory building at a major university in Los Angeles that had major water damage. When the stucco was pulled off, the building paper was revealed to be reverse-lapped. The shear paneling was OSB, and it crumbled to the touch.

The paper was installed by a union signatory subcontractor with decades of experience. The university had hired a 3rd party inspector to review the whole process, and he signed off on it too. When pressed for an explanation, the inspector confessed that he never visited the site, but felt comfortable signing the (fake) inspection reports because he knew the plastering company "had decades of experience".
The inspector was a one-man office - - not deep enough pockets - - so the university sued the contractor.