• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

99 Sawhorses Down, NOT Renewed

jar546

Forum Coordinator
We are officially down 99 Sawhorses and 10 Supporters that have decided to NOT renew their membership. I am hoping that some will have the ability to renew and reduce these numbers as close to zero as possible.

If anyone is not a Sawhorse or Supporter, please give us a hand and help reduce our expenses through your paid subscription membership.

Jeff, My sawhorse status is coming up very soon. Fatboy checked on it for me last week. I have to wait until payday but I will be renewing!

There aren't enough new and interesting threads. As the place gets boring, people lose interest.

Or if there was someway to get the web site to the different BO groups and fire marshal groups, so they know the site is there and might join

I always tell inspectors about this site, and how all my posts are new and interesting, and how every now and then ICE says something new and interesting as well.

Surprised how disinterested most of them are. Subs kinda blow it off too. There are very few tradesmen that want to improve themselves.

I don't understand the mentality. Because of you guys I get very few corrections anymore, and bless his little heart, ICE's photos of what not to do help me make sure the electricians don't pull any shenanigans. I've gotten pretty good at my own pre- inspections because of the site.

I think some are actually afraid to look.

Brent.

"I am going to pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans"....Couldn't help it Brent. Well said and I agree.

Oh good it still says sawhorse next to my name.....WheW!

steveray said:
"I am going to pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans"....Couldn't help it Brent. Well said and I agree.Oh good it still says sawhorse next to my name.....WheW!
I was gonna say "shens" but I'll take the pistol whipping rather than an outright shooting.

Brent.

I was wondering my status and when I went to my profile it became clear that I was an offender! Now link me to the renewal page cuz I cant find it!

I think that as issues get debated and resolved to good answers on this forum, there is less to ask. Then there is a large data bank of stuff in neat categories so someone can browse around and find something that answers their question so no new post on ask/answer topics. With code edition changes and AHJs adopting local amendments, I expect there will be more activity. Currently the design "community" is busier with work so less likely to participate. When the plans hit the review desk, expect more activity.

Reaching out to inspectors is valid, how many will pay for a site subscription is another matter.

& % & % &

"There are very few tradesmen that want to improve themselves......I don't understand the mentality."
Reading, actually understanding and applying the codes takes a lot oftime and effort........Just look at the amount of time we expend discussing

the various nuances of all of the codes on this Forum.......For some, ...now

add the [ possible ] language barrier ( i.e. - me no habla Ingles senor ).

Also add having different code editions, and revisions & amendments

in different, sometimes neighboring jurisdictions..........Oh yeah, don't

forget to purchase the updated \ newer editions of the codes regularly,

...sometimes having to comply with multiple editions in the same area.

Why in the world would the average Contractor choose to incur these

costs & headaches, when there is a much, much simpler solution.

[ RE: Telephone calls to the elected officials to either whine & complain,

or to donate to the next election, or both. ]. :-o

Doing things the "right, compliant way" will cost the Contractor

something.

% & % & %

MASSDRIVER said:
I always tell inspectors about this site. Surprised how disinterested most of them are. I don't understand the mentality.

Brent.
I see it from the inside and it's as bad as you can imagine. I hate to admit that but it's true. There are several hundred inspectors and plan checkers in my AHJ. The administration offered to create an in-house forum. I don't know if the idea died because it came from me or if it's just that nobody cares, but die it did.

I think some are actually afraid to look.
That starts from the top down. I have lost track of the times that I have been told that I make the department look bad when I write corrections on top of other inspectors. I don't do that unless it is a serious violation but like I've said before, the office managers, well they don't know what's a serious violation and what isn't. All they see are the angry customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find any way to tell when my subscription is up. I think I first signed up in April, so I just renewed.

Mine expired a couple of weeks ago and I thought I will see what it is like for the non-sawhorse posters and I must say I could not stand it anymore.

Not being able to edit a post or see some of the items being linked to or posted just left me wondering what am I missing by not renewing my sawhorse status?

Quite a lot it was determined.

$35.00 is small potatoes for the wealth of knowledge and materials that are shared on this site for the number of topics it covers. Where else can you go and post a building code question and have someone from fire or mechanical remind you of other code sections that you may need to look at with regards to your question. Most of the other code forums are code specific, fire, electrical, plumbing and therefore those participants may not think beyond the specific codes they work with.

lantern-press-montana-last-best-place-cowboy-on-horseback.jpg

The Building Codes Forum is the last and best place to come to for the most comprehensive code advice.

And we can always empty the piggy bank a couple times a year and send a little extra!!!!!!!

mtlogcabin said:
Mine expired a couple of weeks ago and I thought I will see what it is like for the non-sawhorse posters and I must say I could not stand it anymore. Not being able to edit a post or see some of the items being linked to or posted just left me wondering what am I missing by not renewing my sawhorse status?

Quite a lot it was determined.

$35.00 is small potatoes for the wealth of knowledge and materials that are shared on this site for the number of topics it covers. Where else can you go and post a building code question and have someone from fire or mechanical remind you of other code sections that you may need to look at with regards to your question. Most of the other code forums are code specific, fire, electrical, plumbing and therefore those participants may not think beyond the specific codes they work with.

lantern-press-montana-last-best-place-cowboy-on-horseback.jpg

The Building Codes Forum is the last and best place to come to for the most comprehensive code advice.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This thread is a perfect example of how useful this forum can be. A unique feature is that it was brought to us by a civilian home owner. Most other forums are not willing to converse with homeowners. So anyway, the thread brought up an issue of an island being too close to a kitchen counter. It is 33" and apparently the plans call for 39". Now it hasn't occurred to me to pay attention to that until I read the thread. First of all, most islands show up after drywall. An inspector could not know the width between the counters until the cabinets are done and we aren't called in for that. So it will be at final inspection that this is caught.

In the thread the mistake is 6". I don't know of a code other than that the construction must match the plans. So let me ask a question: If you discovered this mistake at the final inspection, what would you do? Assume that there is an owner.

Last edited by a moderator: