• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A and B-Occupancies within a facility

indyarchyguy

Another item I have been watching. An existing manufacturing building which has an office area (40K sf) attached to a larger manufacturing facility (155K sf), fully sprinklered, Type V-B construction throughout. The project included a complete renovation of the B-occupancy area. This included over 7,100 sf of assembly area occupancies (Banquet room, Training/Lecture Hall, Gymnasium, etc)...well over the 10% allowable for incidental use. The Gymnasium and Lecture Training Hall are adjacent to each other. A 1-hour fire separation wall was provided at the perimeter of this overall area for occupancy separation. The local inspector came through checking door ratings. For whatever reason, the doors to the lecture hall were rated at 20-min assemblies, but the doors into the gymnasium were rated at 45-min. IMHO all of these doors should be rated 45-min as they are separating occupancy types and are not just your standard 20 min smoke door. The inspector reviewed them both, but did not make comment on them. I am concerned come time for final he is going to flip back on this at the last minute. Thoughts before I open a can of worms to the Owner (who is performing his own construction by the way)...and I am always ready to learn where I am wrong as well...

We use an amended version of the 2012 IBC/IFC.

Are you the RDP on the project? If so, I would think you have an obligation to do the right thing, and get the doors changed out.

When you said "Type V-B construction throughout," was that for the office portion that is separated from the manufacturing portion with a fire wall?