• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

a balcony serving more than one suite, which is served by a single exit stairway or ramp

sunyaer

This is from Ontario Building Code Division B:
------------------------------------------------------------------
9.9.9.3. Shared Egress Facilities
(1) A dwelling unit shall be provided with a second and separate means of egress where an egress door from the
dwelling unit opens onto,
(a) an exit stairway serving more than one suite,
(b) a public corridor,
(i) serving more than one suite, and
(ii) served by a single exit,
(c) an exterior passageway,
(i) serving more than one suite,
(ii) served by a single exit stairway or ramp, and
(iii) more than 1.5 m above adjacent ground level, or
(d) a balcony,
(i) serving more than one suite,
(ii) served by a single exit stairway or ramp, and
(iii) more than 1.5 m above adjacent ground level.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't figure out what the description of (d) would look like . Could you please show one or two scenarios as described in (d), where a balcony serving more than one suite is served by a single exit stairway or ramp?

Think about a two storey apartment building where the suites on the second storey open into an exterior passageway. You will see these sometimes where there is a deck serving two units with a set of stairs on each side of the deck. If the deck only had a single set of stairs, they would need to provide a separate means of egress from each suite. When they provide the second set of stairs (b)(ii) is no longer true, which means that the designer/constructor no longer has to meet Sentence 1.

Thanks.

Just wondering if there are low-rise buildings (more than 2 story) with this sheared balcony layout.

Thanks.

Just wondering if there are low-rise buildings (more than 2 story) with this sheared balcony layout.
Have an active file right now with a three-storey C occupancy (previous existing structure) where an exterior passageway (wood), served three suites with only one exit (the front door) and had one stair ... during the permitting process for the replacement, we required a second set of stairs.
Also required some fire-resistance treatment to the replacement deck and supports per 9.9.9.3(2).
We've recently had a lot of issues with replacing existing non-compliant exits/decks/passageways serving second-storey suites and running afoul of 9.9.9.2 and 9.9.9.3.

Have an active file right now with a three-storey C occupancy (previous existing structure) where an exterior passageway (wood), served three suites with only one exit (the front door) and had one stair ... during the permitting process for the replacement, we required a second set of stairs.
Also required some fire-resistance treatment to the replacement deck and supports per 9.9.9.3(2).
We've recently had a lot of issues with replacing existing non-compliant exits/decks/passageways serving second-storey suites and running afoul of 9.9.9.2 and 9.9.9.3.
Good stuff to learn in real world, not just from the book. Thanks.

Good stuff to learn in real world, not just from the book. Thanks.

We're in a... less urban area ... and since most of the builders are just basic house-constructors, and the idea of fire-rated exterior passageways or two exit stairs for a passageway serving as the only exit from two second storey apartments is totally foreign. It's a challenge just getting builders to realize it's a bad idea to run stairs past windows of first-storey suites.

Issues with 9.9.4.4, 9.9.7.2/9.9.9.2 and 9.9.9.3 are becoming so commonplace of late, I have on my "to-do" list the task of writing an article on second-storey exit/egress to our website's "knowledge base."